Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been stewing on this for several days now and I'd like some feedback. Given the ever increasing prices of handmade Guardala mouthpieces (vs laser trimmed), I was alarmed to see the outcome of the thread regarding finishing a Guardala blank: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=62615 . When I queried the "DG" engraved on the shank, the response was "Phil Marked it to look " authentic "."

Not that either of the parties may intend to defraud, but what does happen when this piece eventually ends up on the market? It is certainly not an original Guardala. In the same thread, Phil says he's already done two others. How many Guarones are out there? Are they already being offered for resale?

For the record, I currently have no Guardala mouthpieces. Given these circumstances, I shall have no interest in buying a Guardala in the future because I am concerned what this may do to the resale value of legitimate pieces.

This just took "Buyer Beware" to the next level.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I didn't see any pictures of the back of the piece. I wonder if Phil engraves his name on it somewhere. That would be the right thing of him to do.

BTW, I'd rather have a Phil Barone Guardala than the actual thing. I will go to my grave with my Barone Jazz.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Interesting subject. My guess (and that's all it would be) is that this is just a lapse on Phil's part, nothing more. But the "DG" probably shouldn't be there. I also agree, though, that I'd probably rather have the "DG" done by Phil than Guardala...wherever he may be.

·
Registered
552 Posts
For the record -- the engraving was not my idea -- the mouthpiece plays just as well as any original guardala and I stand by that . ( And more than 1/2 the price ) and if it matters I will not be selling the piece (and I have an original "Studio")--- and as always -- someone has to post one of these threads wining about something that is not there problems

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
At least I have a perfect guardala handmade mb with original crappy lig, cap, the original storage tube and the sales acknowledgement from years ago.
And I´m not planning to ever sell it. It´s my main mpc. :D

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I would think that Phil would want to mark it somehow as a source of pride. This would be little difference form the "lost wax" mouthpieces, IMO. In fact, were he willing to do that with as many blanks as he could get a hold of, there may be a nice market for it.

"Handmade Dave Guardala copies from original blanks by Phil Barone." Or something like to that effect doesn't sound altogether unsettling. It's the idea that someone would misrepresent the piece in a resale that is disturbing to me.

But, I'm not on the hunt for a new piece either.

·
Registered
552 Posts
And as I said before -- if all of you are trying to imply that I may have had this done for the intentions of defrauding someone in a resale , you are sadly mistaken . -- and if you want any more pictures I can do that right now

·
34,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jmm1713 said:
For the record -- the engraving was not my idea -- the mouthpiece plays just as well as any original guardala and I stand by that . ( And more than 1/2 the price ) and if it matters I will not be selling the piece (and I have an original "Studio")--- and as always -- someone has to post one of these threads wining about something that is not there problems
Congrats on your 'piece. I'm glad that Phil came through for you.

No whining here. As I said, Phil noted that he's already done two others - you are not the only one. But since you are sharing in my thread, how would YOU feel were you to buy a Guardala at full market, only to learn that it was not an original?

·
34,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jmm1713 said:
And as I said before -- if all of you are trying to imply that I may have had this done for the intentions of defrauding someone in a resale , you are sadly mistaken . -- and if you want any more pictures I can do that right now
Please note in my original post, that I explicitly noted that neither you nor Phil may be out to do anything wrong. There's no need to get your gut in a knot if you are sincere.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dr G said:
Congrats on your 'piece. I'm glad that Phil came through for you.

No whining here. As I said, Phil noted that he's already done two others - you are not the only one. But since you are sharing in my thread, how would YOU feel were you to buy a Guardala at full market, only to learn that it was not an original?
I aggree that it would be bad but, you are trying to make this thread sound like I want to or that I am trying to sell the mouthpiece ,I have not done or tried to do either -- you should talk to phil if you think this was a bad idea ( which i don't ) .

·
34,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, where are you getting that? :? I have said twice that I am NOT suggesting that you intend any wrong doing or misdeeds.

1) "Not that either of the parties may intend to defraud..."

2) "I explicitly noted that neither you nor Phil may be out to do anything wrong.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dr G said:
Wow, where are you getting that? :? I have said twice that I am NOT suggesting that you intend any wrong doing or misdeeds.

1) "Not that either of the parties may intend to defraud..."

2) "I explicitly noted that neither you nor Phil may be out to do anything wrong.

Fine ,but I just want everyone who reads this to know that this mouthpiece will stay will me and will not end up sold .

·
34,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think we understand that. ;)

So who has the other two? :shock: :D

·
27,650 Posts
jmm1713 said:
For the record...the mouthpiece plays just as well as any original guardala and I stand by that.
LOL. I'm not sure that's a compliment to Phil...that it plays like a Guardala vs one of Phil's pieces.

Anyway - jmm, you're overreacting. Dr G isn't casting any aspersions on you. If anything, he's calling into question Phil's engraving "DG" on the piece. And regarding reselling the piece, he's not implying that you and Phil are in cahoots to scam anyone.

But he's raising a valid point. Mouthpieces, regardless of how much one loves theirs at the moment, have ways of making their way onto the market sooner or later. Dr G is not implying that you might misrepresent it but it's entirely conceivable, maybe even predictable, that someone would buy it from you and turn right around and put it up for auction on eBay with some kind of incredible hype. I think Dr G is making a good point and it's not directed negatively at you.

You can relax now. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,021 Posts
This is stupid. There are probably plenty of counterfeit Guardalas already out there, and Phil Barone can't make one that would pass my inspection. This thread is 'much ado over nothing'. For example, it's much more likely that somebody could doctor-up a Laser-trimmed to look like a real one and make a couple hundred, but then his reputation would be shot when it was discovered, which wouldn't take long. On the other hand, if a reputable mpc maker/refacer wanted to take a LT and touch it up, that would be a worthwhile enterprise as long as they didn't try to palm it off as a real one, which for the above reason I'm sure they wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If I'd buy a very good mpc that says DG even though it isn't a DG, I wouldn't really mind. After all, we're all going for the tone, aren't we, Dr G? :)

Then of course there is the issue with patent violations, etc, but can anyone here say that they have not illegaly copied/downloaded a CD/recording, or performed a tune without paying the composer what's his/hers?

·
27,650 Posts
Gange said:
Then of course there is the issue with patent violations, etc, but can anyone here say that they have not illegaly copied/downloaded a CD/recording, or performed a tune without paying the composer what's his/hers?
Gange you son-of-a-Viking! I'm ashamed of you. Two wrongs don't make a right. :twisted:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree, this is stupid... I checked the thread, and it looks like Phil did a beautiful job on it. So he engraved "DG" on it. Big deal. The engraving doesn't look anything like an original (on any of the ones I've seen), and nor does the plating (especially the mirror finish on the baffle). I'm sorry, but if you can't tell by looking at the fuzzy photos this is not an "original" Guardala then you probably have no business buying one in the first place...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
gary said:
Gange you son-of-a-Viking! I'm ashamed of you. Two wrongs don't make a right. :twisted:
You mean like "stealing women and raping cattle"? :) :brush:

BTW, did someone get a sound out of that garden gnome?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts