Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a TK Tonamax 8 I'm so taken by this piece. It goes so well with the big bore of a Borgani Jublilee Mrk I. But it might be because it's a new experience and I'm getting carried away. I've playing with metal pieces. It such a lovely full tone. blow a deep tone it doesn't bark, it just stands there full body, strong and sturdy, but still relaxed. egality, altisimo just pops out of the horn, great tonal flexibility. Admittedly 8 is a big tip, I'm used to a 7, and it might be slowing me down - but! I'm lovin' it

So I'm wondering is there anybody else playing Borgani with a Tonamax? seems to be such a good match

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Hey Steen,

I had the Tonamax several years ago. It played very well, but wasn't for me.

I prefer that a piece's sound change in color/timbre as I blow harder. For me, the Tonamax got louder, but didn't change that much. Some people really like that for their situations, but I like having a piece that comes on with a little grit when I turn it up. Maybe not so different from my earlier years of playing electric guitar through tube amps.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Steen,

I had the Tonamax several years ago. It played very well, but wasn't for me.

I prefer that a piece's sound change in color/timbre as I blow harder. For me, the Tonamax got louder, but didn't change that much. Some people really like that for their situations, but I like having a piece that comes on with a little grit when I turn it up. Maybe not so different from my earlier years of playing electric guitar through tube amps.
Hi George

I think I understand what you mean. It's a big sound to not easy to alter give and edge and get goin, but IMO on the other hand, It's very flexible, and to possible to play with a complex spread tonal expressions - maybe Better for ballads and playing harmonies than uptempo stuff. Though I do love the big and well shaped tone of the Tonamax, IMO it's fuller than TK Precision (still got your old piece) and Handcrafted, and although it's an 8 bigger than the other two, it's not harder to play, particular down low. It also feels so right like the internal shape - volume of the mpc was made for the Borgani, Making every ounce of the brass sing - anyway that's how I feel about it. It really makes my Borg sing, and And that's my point for taking it up here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Hi George

I think I understand what you mean. It's a big sound to not easy to alter give and edge and get goin, but IMO on the other hand, It's very flexible, and to possible to play with a complex spread tonal expressions - maybe Better for ballads and playing harmonies than uptempo stuff. Though I do love the big and well shaped tone of the Tonamax, IMO it's fuller than TK Precision (still got your old piece) and Handcrafted, and although it's an 8 bigger than the other two, it's not harder to play, particular down low. It also feels so right like the internal shape - volume of the mpc was made for the Borgani, Making every ounce of the brass sing - anyway that's how I feel about it. It really makes my Borg sing, and And that's my point for taking it up here.
I love to hear you say “It really makes my Borg sing...”. Yes!

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
After hearing about Ted Klum mouthpieces for years I traded for one. I went right back to my Link.
They look like they should play well but it didn’t.
The Jazz Select plays a lot better for that “bright Link” idea it seems a lot of guys or going for.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After hearing about Ted Klum mouthpieces for years I traded for one. I went right back to my Link.
They look like they should play well but it didn’t.
The Jazz Select plays a lot better for that “bright Link” idea it seems a lot of guys or going for.
Did You play it on a Borgani?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts