Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any SOTW members attending this year's US Navy Band International Saxophone Symposium at George Mason January 11,12 2019? It is a great event for those who have not attended. Every year there is a special guest and this year Bob Sheppard is giving a clinic on January 12th. There are a ton of performances including the by the US Navy Concert Band and the US Navy Commodores and there is a large vendor show where you can try out all the latest products. The big 4 manufacturers are usually represented along with several other vendors. Music Medic has been there for the last several years along with JunkDude who sells Morgan mouthpieces. D'addario and Vandoren are usually there. Both Ted Klum of Ted Klum mouthpieces and Jody Espina of Jody Jazz have been there but do not attend every year. Last year I ran into Branford Marsalis who was just hanging out trying stuff in the vendor room and spoke to him for a few minutes. What a cool guy! I would love to meet other SOTWers in person so let us know if you are attending and perhaps we can arrange a time to meet up on the Saturday. The best thing, it is 100% free to attend so check it out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
Wow. Crickets for this one so far.

I know I used to be more of a cheerleader for this event, and had some incredible times with forum members at past symposiums. But I actually preferred it in Winchester, for not just the scenery, but the closeness of places to stay within walking distance of the events. Fairfax had its best days when the Mason Inn was open on campus, which was super convenient and a really nice place to stay for not a whole lotta money. Now it's closed and you'd have to stay miles away to make a weekend of it. Add into that the sorrow of losing good friends and those who are no longer able to attend and it's kind of bittersweet for me these days.

But yeah, if you want to try practically every new horn out there and see a variety of saxophone artists and ensembles... and all for free... you shouldn't miss this. As it's only an hour and a half away by car, I might just drive over on Saturday. That depends though on what's going on with my football team, and whether or not they're in a playoff game that weekend. Priorities, you know.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
We will be there!

We will have both TM Custom Tenor Models there (the 500SL & the Session) as well as our new Bari. We'll have some set up altos, clarinets, Ishimori ligatures, and other fun stuff!

Reach out to me if you want us to bring anything and stop by and see us.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Can't be there, but I send a SHOUT-OUT

I'm a US Naval School of Music Grad..Anacostia DC '62..then Seventh Fleet Band USS Coral Sea and Treasure Island SF Navy Band.

Salute Gang !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,419 Posts
Good luck and have fun to All! Here's hopping you all make the Commodores some day. :) [When I heard them a couple of years ago they were very musical, just enough "flash;" unlike the Army Blues. :)]

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be there!
I do not know if you remember me, but we met last year at the Symposium. I am looking forward to seeing you again and playing your killer TM Custom tenor! Your personal horn was one of the best at the Symposium.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good luck and have fun to All! Here's hopping you all make the Commodores some day. :) [When I heard them a couple of years ago they were very musical, just enough "flash;" unlike the Army Blues. :)]
Just to make sure I understand you...What exactly are you saying about The Army Blues versus The Commodores? I'd love for you to elaborate.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I do not know if you remember me, but we met last year at the Symposium. I am looking forward to seeing you again and playing your killer TM Custom tenor! Your personal horn was one of the best at the Symposium.
Yes! I remember:).

I have another TM now with a newer neck that I also love! I'll have that one this year. Still own the older one too though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
26,419 Posts
Just to make sure I understand you...What exactly are you saying about The Army Blues versus The Commodores? I'd love for you to elaborate.
I wasn't really comparing the top Naval jazz band to the top Army jazz band. But, I heard both and happened to note the differences in style and approach. The Blues(were all fantastic players, solo tenor players blew their butts off!) but the charts were mostly up tempo and loud, probably to appeal to the young crowd for recruitment purposes. The Commodores were more musical, with a greater array of tempi, dynamics, etc., merely playing a concert.

Didn't mean to step on any toes.:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
As musical director of the US Army Blues and tenor saxophonist I can assure you that we do play a variety of styles and charts. Choosing which charts to play all depends on the audience in attendance. Are we loud? Yes...I blame the trumpets for that.
I absolutely love the Commodores and have close friends in that amazing band. Without getting into boring details...the Blues historically program concerts around the jazz tradition (Basie, Buddy Rich etc) and versus other bands that feature original newer compositions and arrangements.
I'm also the jazz saxophone instructor at GMU and will be at symposium on Saturday and would love to meet some fellow SOTW'ers.
Happy New Year everybody!

Xp

·
26,419 Posts
As musical director of the US Army Blues and tenor saxophonist I can assure you that we do play a variety of styles and charts. Choosing which charts to play all depends on the audience in attendance. Are we loud? Yes...I blame the trumpets for that.
I absolutely love the Commodores and have close friends in that amazing band. Without getting into boring details...the Blues historically program concerts around the jazz tradition (Basie, Buddy Rich etc) and versus other bands that feature original newer compositions and arrangements.
I'm also the jazz saxophone instructor at GMU and will be at symposium on Saturday and would love to meet some fellow SOTW'ers.
Happy New Year everybody!

Xp
What were the BLUES called before changing names? I'm pretty sure that's the title they were going by in Fayetteville, NC, a few years ago when I last heard them.

Anyhow, the band was very impressive, and probably gained recruits, the real/ulterior motive of the concert, IMHO...And lets the guys play a little bit.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone else from Sax on the Web attending? I look forward to meeting new people so please PM me if you will attend Saturday and want to meet up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
JunkDude will be there with Morgan Mouthpieces. Here's what I posted earlier on a different thread:

The Morgan Company will be at the Navy Band Symposium this weekend at George Mason University. January 11 & 12.

As some of you know, the Morgan Company has acquired and put back into production some antique M.C. Gregory / Gale Molds. We started producing the GM Baritone a few months ago. We will have some of those at the show this weekend. We will also have prototypes of altos and tenors available to try...no sales on these yet. We will have the 16, 18, and 20 core altos and hopefully the 18 and 20 core tenors. Come by and have a look and give them a try. We would be happy to get some feedback. We hope to be producing these late Winter / early Spring.

Of course, we will also have a large selection of Morgan pieces with us as well.

·
26,013 Posts
Good times yesterday. Nice to see the SOTW'ers again at the Symposium, as I haven't been in a while. Though the weather had me having to leave early, I did get a chance to hear Bob Sheppard during his clinic/lecture. Very humble man and a genuinely all around good dude. His advice to play along with recordings you favor often gets lost among the more pedagogical approaches pushed by theorists. I also got to try a bunch of Rampone & Cazzani saxophones, from soprano to bari, which was a first for me.

What was a bit of a discouragement were the snake oil vendors, with their magic neck screws and gimmicky mouthpiece/neck cork add-ons that looked better suited as earrings. I do wonder however, how much the neck screw vendor had to pay his associate for attracting marks...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Well, thanks for the review Grumps! I had tentative plans to go to Friday's session but they fell through, literally, at the last minute due to some "emergency" work required by clients on a project I'm working. Kept me scrambling from 12:30pm - 4:30pm... Wasn't planning on Sat due to the weather forecasts. Which, btw, I recorded almost 12" total accumulation in my front yard...

Would've loved to have tried out the R&C you mention and sit in on the Paul Cohen lecture... R&C pics I've seen looked very nice and I've heard/read good reviews on their horns. Care to share the vendor's name? How did they fare in your humble opinion?

·
26,013 Posts
Overall, the keywork of the R&C horns felt blocky... like square toneholes. I know that's a rather unartful way of putting it, but it's just the sensation I got. Perhaps my bias for vintage horns has me favoring worn mechanisms. Who knows how I got that feeling, but it was rather off-putting. I couldn't get the upper palm keys to speak well for me with the tenors, including the Two Voices. A silver bari seemed really nice, but with its long neck the neckstrap I had with me wasn't long enough for me to get a good play out of it. The straight alto was cool, but with the sound coming from so low, it was rather odd. Not something I would ever want to have because it would be tougher to hear the nuances in your own sound. The sopranos were pleasant, including a tipped bell model, but nothing that left me in awe and would have me dump my beloved True Tone. As I no longer have a sopranino, I didn't have a mouthpiece on me to try theirs. It was a neat little curved model. The R&C's were at the Rovner table and they had a whole stable of them.

I too was sorry I missed Paul Cohen's lecture.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts