Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Orpheo Intermediate" alto sax. I mean really held one and played it? I came across a youtube video of a guy advertising one and playing it. It sounded o.k. but then it was played on my computer through a set of headphones. The ad "copy" was impressive as well. I realize it may well be crap, or it could be one of those Chinese horns that are pretty good.

I'm not really looking to buy one but at the prices I've seen it's tempting. I found the very same horn listed at at least 4 places. Price ranging from $249 to $399. Same horn, same "deal." Free shipping, no tax, 2 year warranty.

So, I'm curious. I did read a couple comments that were negative but they were from people who hadn't actually used one.

So - I repeat. Have any of you good folks actually laid hands and lips upon one?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I haven't played the saxes but I have a flute here that is an Orpheo and it is quite good. Similar to a Jupiter overall. With these saxes from Asia, you can't expect everything to be good but they are generally fair to good. I have seen them improve greatly over the past 3 years and be suitable for an adult. I don't think I would trust one to a child as they do have some shorcuts in springing and pads. I sold a few dozen curved sopranos last year and the biggest problem I found was not being in adjustment from the factory, needing about $100 in repairs. Intonation was average except the low end from C down was flat. A good player may get around this but for many the horns needed to be thought of as a $350 copy of a $2,500 horn.....good for getting your feet wet in sopranoland. The fit and finish was really quite good and a nice package overall.
Since there are plenty of altos for sale used, I would pick a Yamaha YAS-23 of similar and they can be found in the $500 price range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts