Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm a high school Junior and playing soprano, alto, tenor (occasionally), and bari (mainly). I'm applying to colleges (or starting too) and doing two Charlie Parker pieces plus some Bach for my auditions. I'm completely strapped for time though to practice.
Classes from 8-3, rowing from 3-6, and 23 hours of collective rehearsal a week. I was wondering if anyone knew or is a music major from the schools I'm about to list and if so would be willing to give some advice on the whole process (time management, practice, and otherwise)?
University of Chicago
Colorado State University
De Paul University
Dickinson College
Franklin and Marshall College
Harvard University
Hobart and William Smith College
Lehigh University
Northeastern University
Northwestern University
U of Richmond

Thanks so much, there are others I'm tentatively looking at and I'm always open for suggestions. (As you've noticed my areas of interest location wise are the Northeast-ish, Colorado, and Chicago.)

Allie

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Harvard is a more academic based program than performance based.

From their website:

The concentration in Music provides an understanding of music in diverse cultural and historical contexts as well as a solid foundation in composition, theory, analysis, and criticism. While the Department of Music is not in itself a school of music with a performance department, we strongly encourage performance activities. The program is not directed primarily toward students planning careers in performance fields, but serves such students by deepening their intellectual involvement with the music they are to play.

The Department focuses on study in composition, theory, and musicology, including ethnomusicology. The Music Department at Harvard is an academic department.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
New England Conservatory
Berklee College of Music
Indiana University
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

I am not familiar with the music programs at many of the schools you listed. For example: Northeastern University is music technology based, I believe. You should peruse these university websites to find out what majors they offer.

If you want to be a performance major, you should strongly consider NEC or Berklee.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For Harvard: I didn't actually know that...hm...yeah I know I'm interested in some of those majors (of course not more than one), but I definitely want to do performance.
I think I'll apply to IU (they have a really high hate crime rate on their campus so I'm not sure how I feel about the school itself). I want to double major in psychology which is why there aren't any conservatories on the list.

Allie

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you want to study music at a performance level, DePaul and Northwestern are probably best on that list. However, if you want a top flight academic experience, those schools (like Harvard) are often not great performance schools. That said, you are more likely to get music scholarships as a performer to great academic schools with lower performance standards. I went to a "top 10" liberal arts college and got a scholarship for music because I was an average fish in a very small pond. Also, schools like Harvard will have killer players, just not killer "programs."

My list of great academics and performance programs:
Michigan
Indiana
U of I Champaign
U of Iowa
Northwestern
Oberlin
Rochester/Eastman
U Southern Cal
U T Austin
Columbia
Yale

Don't let names guide you too much though. There are lots of factors in finding a good college fit beyond the "best name."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
I think I'll apply to IU (they have a really high hate crime rate on their campus so I'm not sure how I feel about the school itself).
Visit before you decide against IU based on a crime rate. Bloomington is a really beautiful campus town, very cool little city, scenic, happening. I've never known anyone uncomfortable there.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Visit before you decide against IU based on a crime rate. Bloomington is a really beautiful campus town, very cool little city, scenic, happening. I've never known anyone uncomfortable there.
Indeed. I am currently a saxophone performance major at IU and this has never been a problem. We had a few acts of anti-semitism earlier in the year, but the guys were caught and I haven't heard of any problems with hate crimes since. Bloomington is a beautiful campus and I definitely wouldn't count it out because you heard a rumor about how the city/university is, or anything other university because of hearsay.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I actually agree with the comments regarding more academic schools. I transferred out of Eastman to a small liberal arts school and was actually happier there, plus I knew I would have a job when I got done. The sad reality of the matter is that today, jazz gigs just don't pay the bills. I'm glad that I picked up some additional skills instead of focusing strictly on my performance chops. I think that I ended up getting a better professor at the smaller school as well. Some of those little schools actually have some really great players on the faculty that can dedicate real time to you and focus on fostering your growth. I know that it's impressive to say that you studied with "insert world renowned musician here" but in all honesty. You never see those cats. My friends at Duquesne "studied" with Sean Jones but they only saw him once a year at most. I never saw Ramon Ricker at Eastman after at my audition. Instead of blowing my money at a fancy conservatory, I got a scholarship that greatly reduced my college debt. Plus I ended up getting an MA in jazz studies at Pitt afterword and am continuing for a Ph.D because I can not only play but also do some serious scholarship because of my liberal arts background. Oh, and did I mention that I'm not paying a cent for it? Seriously, the academic path will serve you well. Just make sure you're motivated enough to do it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed. I am currently a saxophone performance major at IU and this has never been a problem. We had a few acts of anti-semitism earlier in the year, but the guys were caught and I haven't heard of any problems with hate crimes since. Bloomington is a beautiful campus and I definitely wouldn't count it out because you heard a rumor about how the city/university is, or anything other university because of hearsay.
I'm just a little wary since I have been on that campus a lot (I have family in Bloomington that interacts and teaches with the campus on a lot of levels) and every time I visit it seems like someone's doing something related to a hate crime. But I don't know, I haven't done a formal tour and the campus is very pretty...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm just a little wary since I have been on that campus a lot (I have family in Bloomington that interacts and teaches with the campus on a lot of levels) and every time I visit it seems like someone's doing something related to a hate crime. But I don't know, I haven't done a formal tour and the campus is very pretty...
The best way to stay safe on a college campus is to always be aware of your surroundings, walk in groups of 3 or more at night, & most of all make good decisions on who / where you hang out. If you do these things, you should be safe.

Unfortunately, criminals are everywhere.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I once met a trumpet player studing at Harvard who said the attitude there was that music was to be seen and not heard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@thadnoland - that is true...I'll probably look at, there are a lot of things that I do like about the campus. Guess I'm just being a little paranoid.
@Leon - that's really disappointing that the program is like that, thanks for the heads up.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Boston University would seem to be one you would like to look at.

BTW, that's funny quote from Leon. Jollity aside, be careful of relying too much on third-hand information, particularly since, in this case, the original source of that information is only one person. . . and a trumpet player at that. :twisted:

Regarding Harvard, its program is a music academic program, not a performance oriented program. However, it has a joint program with New England Conservatory (NEC) which is performance oriented. It's a five year program that concludes with an AB from Harvard College and an MM from NEC. For some people this could be the best of both worlds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I know some guys that went to Colorado and they are very good players. People in Colorado really like jam band music and sax solos. I always love gigging in Colorado. It is one of the handful of places were people would recognize me on the street as the sax player from that band. Great place to be a side man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts