Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a documentary on Dave Brubeck, then one on Monk, then a Carnegie Hall tribute to Clint Eastwood.

Performing at length were Joshua Redman, James Moody, James Carter, Charles McPherson, Flip Phillips, Jon Faddis, Jay McShann, and the Kyle Eastwood Quartet, among others. An absolutely swinging couple hours. Wish I had taped it.

A cutting contest between Carter and Redman, a finale with all 5 sax players killing Lester Leaps in at about a hundred mph. 70 plus year old Moody and 80 year old Phillips still had huge chops with Phillips taking the last solo. I remember JATP of years ago when Flip, Lester, Illinois, and dozens of others were swinging large. This show was a reminder of way back when. Good stuff indeed!.

It was good to see Redman playing what looked like an old Buescher tenor and McPherson on a beat up looking Selmer alto.

Marvelous program. Even Eastwood got some licks in on piano.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah! I recorded the Brubeck documentary (yet to watch), then I saw part of the Monk show and all of the Carnegie Hall show. What a great Carnegie Hall performance! So many great musicians on one stage at the same time. Truly memorable and awe-inspiring, and what a great job of directing the music by Lennie Niehaus who also was musical director of the movie biography of Charlie Parker, "Bird", starring Forrest Whitaker which aired immediately after the Carnegie Hall show on TCM.

Eastwood After Hours: Live at Carnegie Hall performance is available on DVD at Amazon.com and other retail outlets.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah! I recorded the Brubeck documentary (yet to watch), then I saw part of the Monk show and all of the Carnegie Hall show. What a great Carnegie Hall performance! So many great musicians on one stage at the same time. Truly memorable and awe-inspiring, and what a great job of directing the music by Lennie Niehaus who also was musical director of the movie biography of Charlie Parker, "Bird", starring Forrest Whitaker which aired immediately after the Carnegie Hall show on TCM.

Eastwood After Hours: Live at Carnegie Hall performance is available on DVD at Amazon.com and other retail outlets.
Just ordered it from Amazon. Amazing program. I watched most of "Bird" but here in CA it got too late for this old boy. And Brubeck? I lived about a half-mile from Joe Morellos house. I'd hear him early in the morning while walking to school on Adams Street in Springfield, MA, and at mid afternoon on the way home. He must have practiced 24/7.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,602 Posts
I caught the Dave Brubeck, part of Monk, part of Tribute. Very enjoyable. Glad to have Clint Eastwood in our corner. He's one of my favorite actors to boot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the complete list of soloists: I forgot James Rivers in my OP. He played a blues on soprano that was amazing. Also I see that Lenny Niehous's name is mis-spelled. Not mine error, its whats on the playlist.

Kenny Barron, Barry Harris, Matt McGuire, Renee Rosnes, Clint Eastwood, - piano; Jimmy Scott, Jay McShann, Kevin Mahogany, Gary LeMel - vocal; Christian McBride, Kyle Eastwood, Peter Washington - bass; Kenny Washington, Kendall Kay, T.S. Monk Jr. - drums; Doug Webb, James Rivers, James Carter, Joshua Redman, Charles McPherson, James Moody, Flip Philips, Lennie Nichaus - saxophone; Jon Faddis, Roy Hargrove - trumpet; Dennis Wilson - trombone; Claude Williams - violin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts