Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or the ES? Ive recently been looking at the yamaha wx5 or the akai 4000s. I tried one of the motif racks at guitar center, not sure if it was an es or an xs. It was cool but a bit overwhelming at first. Lots of good sounds, though.

I'm not sure if I want to jump into this game yet. I've checked out patch mans site, and the norton notes site. I'm currently borrowing a wx5, I've yet to try an akai.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I have a motif rack as well as the wx/vl70 combo. They are two entirely different beasts. Unless you are MIDI savvy - the vl is the best bet with a wx 5. Even then - the motif is not the most user friendly piece of rack gear I have encountered. I use it a lot but I don't like the interface. The sounds are what keeps me coming back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not tried the vl, and it looks like it's discontinued. I hear/see lots of good things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the WX5 and VL70 tone module or whatever. It's okay, but not a huge fan of the wx5 so far. Keywork is too light, etc. The VL70 locks you out of polyphony if you use it with keyboards, just because they want to make you suffer or something.

On the other hand, I picked up the earliest generation motif rack for use with keyboards used and somewhat cheap, and I love it. I haven't really tried it with the wx5 yet, maybe I'll try this weekend. The only gripe with the motif rack I have is not being able to easily jump through the 16 midi channels and assign different patches to each. I think you have to setup a more complex layout in another menu, which on the other hand would be easier if you're recalling them all for a sequence or something.

I just dabble around with it all, nothing too serious.

I love my motif with keyboards. I just had to say it again. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts