Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The t5-ice saxes look amazing but I don't know or have heard of anybody that uses one. Im wondering if it plays well and what your setup is.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I got mine used off ebay for $1100. The previous owner had rubbed the silver plate clean off the matte-finish bell and neck, trying to polish it. The inner part of the bell is shiny silver. It plays real well-- fatter than my old Global Series tenor. I don't think finish affects tone, though. It is apparent however, that in every stone series cannonball I have purchased (that come with two necks), that the necks make a huge difference in the sound, and I suspect this is due to slight differences in shape/dimension, not what is coated over the brass on the outside. I play it with a Jody Jazz DV 7*.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I don't think finish affects tone, though. It is apparent however, that in every stone series cannonball I have purchased (that come with two necks), that the necks make a huge difference in the sound, and I suspect this is due to slight differences in shape/dimension, not what is coated over the brass on the outside.
Amen. I was really surprised to find Selmer cashing in on finish voodoo at last year's Sax Symposium. They were trying to peddle extra necks where they claimed that the only difference was the finish. The consensus was that unlike on CBs, they sounded pretty much the same with no more detectable difference than you would expect from 3 or 4 different necks all painted or plated the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts