Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are they? Will I magically sound like him, just like THAT?!? Kidding, of course, but I'm curious how they sound. Right now I have a couple Otto Link rubber Tone Edge pieces, that are great. That nice smooth 'rubber', or 'not-metal' sound, plus just enough grit and cut to the sound.

Stan Getz is probably the #1 influence on my sound, Sonny Rollins-Saxophone Colossus period is close 2nd, and I'm really curious how these Drake pieces came out. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
I haven't tried one but there are a few threads that do talk about them. Just do a search for Drake Stan Getz mouthpiece and you'll see a few threads with opinions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
I was with a tenor sax player the other day who has tried one (he plays on a vintage Link just like you), he said it feels very similar to his Link (normal, the SG is a Link copy). His other piece, a Ted Klum, was not far from that (a bit brighter).

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I tried a Tenor Madness EB copy and a Stan Getz Drake side by side. The Getz was easier to play but the TMEB had a nicer resonance and less artificial focuse if that makes any sense. I bought the EB and still love it (despite the fact the facing's not even and the table isn't flat.)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
I was just having a listen to Steve Neff's music review (http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/01/stan-getz-legend-series-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece/). Sounds good (but it seems he can make them all sound good). The copy of the teeth indentation seems a little weird to me.
I can't make them all sound good. I have had many mouthpiece over the years that I sent back because I couldn't get them happening. I always tell the maker that they just weren't a good match for me. Sometimes they send me back another to try that I feel more comfortable on.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I heard steve's clip of the getz piece too. I agree he sounds beautiful on all the pieces. And similar too.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
After I listened to the demo played by Steve, I can't control myself but buy one immediately and it arrived yesterday.

As a fan of Stan Getz, I buy it not because it can help me to imitate his sound. It's just because it is endorsed by Bev Getz, who confirmed that it is an exact copy (I believe that it should be the shape, at least. :bluewink:) of the Stan's last mouthpiece. Did the teeth mark add a value? To me, definitely! Of course, it's a psychological effect rather than the sound. Indeed, I wouldn't put my teeth on that mark, because it would be too inside for me.

Ok, back to the sound, the most important thing in any event. Since the mpc does not come with a ligature, I used a Francois Louis' Ultimate Ligature and Vandoren Red Java 2.5/3 to try the mpc (5*). Easy to blow from the lower to the upper register. I thought that due to the large chamber and low baffle, the sound will tend to be darker. But it is not as dark as I thought. On the other hand, as expected, at the upper register, the sound would not be "thin" due to the reed + structure inside the mpc.

I am very satisfied with it because my other mouthpieces (Cheong and Aizen) have a larger tip opening, which I can only play Plasticover 2 and Vandoren Trad. 2 respectively.

So, due to my limited skills, in quiet environment, say with a piano, I will definitely play this legends mpc but while with a whole band in a gig or in an outdoor, I will use my Cheong mpc at this moment.

Hope that one day I can choose freely between them in any environment without any difficulty. :cheers:

~Stanley
P.S. shouldn't have such long post. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
interesting....I have the 7* which I beleive is the largest...and it is the Brightest of all my HR pieces...really screams with plenty of overtones....didnt work to well on my small room jazz gig last week as I found it too bright............

·
Registered
37 Posts
oh....I wish to clarify a little bit. The Cheong is a metal mouthpiece and the Aizen is a HR.

Still trying the Stan's and so far, I am really happy with it because it gives me another set of tune colors. :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
is the Aizen a link selmer or brilhart copy???

·
1,596 Posts

·
2,870 Posts
I was with a tenor sax player the other day who has tried one (he plays on a vintage Link just like you), he said it feels very similar to his Link (normal, the SG is a Link copy). His other piece, a Ted Klum, was not far from that (a bit brighter).
I have a link and the stan getz piece and my links sounds stuffy and my stan getz piece is quite a bit brighter and just has a better sound

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi,

I play Sax because I love the music of Stan Getz specially Bossa Nova sessions.
In my search for the most beautiful sound, I tried many different options available including Aizen LS 7* Florida Link copy, Morgan Link copies, Mouthpiece Cafe Bergonzi, Macsax Bob Sheppard etc.

Let me say that Drake Stan Getz 6* mouthpiece has the "Sweetest" tone, it's never bright or harsh. The tone remains dark and has a rounded edge to it - Sweetness is personified in that mouthpiece!
I love the Aizen florida link model as well, it has similar characteristics to Drake but doesn't have the added sweetness/ roundedness which Drake offers.
Highly recommend to all Getz fans

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I've still got a couple left( they are discontinued as handmade by Drake if anyone didnt know).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
I bought one last week and, frankly as a big surprise, it is already my #1 mouthpiece of choice.
Very focused, free blowing and easy to control (at least in my 5* opening) mouthpiece, a little on the bright side.
Excellent! It is a shame that its production stopped.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
If you take any set-up that is remotely similar to Getz's and you already have learned to play like Getz, you will be happy with it. The important part is studying the player and 'channeling' him when playing. If you don't have this ability, no set-up in the world will make you sound like that player. It's in the head, not the horn. I gather that the tooth mark on the Drake is closer to the tip? That would agree with the pictures I have seen of Getz playing as well as my own experiences in trying to play that way. He also used a 'clarinet-style' roll-back embouchure. Again, if you can't play with different embouchure styles to go with different playing styles, you're not going to change your sound much. I can play 'Getz-style' on my Guardala 'King Curtis' and get a decent approximation which is enough for me - I just want to be able to go into that mode without changing my set-up. I do this by imagining what he would do on the same tune. After listening to him and other noted players all my life, I find that it tends to 'play back' for me.
So, if all this is true, you might ask why I bought a 'tribute mouthpiece' in the first place (the 'King Curtis'). That would be a good question. I always liked KC and tried to use his style a lot. The Brilhart Level Air I had been playing for 23 years was just not suiting me anymore. This was in 1989, so there was no internet to learn from. I basically ended up with what turned out to be a great all-around mouthpiece, although I'm sure that not many here would believe that. One more time, it's not what you play, it's how you play.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hi,

I play Sax because I love the music of Stan Getz specially Bossa Nova sessions.
In my search for the most beautiful sound, I tried many different options available including Aizen LS 7* Florida Link copy, Morgan Link copies, Mouthpiece Cafe Bergonzi, Macsax Bob Sheppard etc.

Let me say that Drake Stan Getz 6* mouthpiece has the "Sweetest" tone, it's never bright or harsh. The tone remains dark and has a rounded edge to it - Sweetness is personified in that mouthpiece!
I love the Aizen florida link model as well, it has similar characteristics to Drake but doesn't have the added sweetness/ roundedness which Drake offers.
Highly recommend to all Getz fans
Hi Vami - how do you like the otto link slant signatures?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts