Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a couple of eBayers offering pads from China at very good prices. Check here and here.

Have any forum members any experience with either of these products? I know Topsax is a member, and his saxes are held in high esteem, but it would be good to get opinions on the pads.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Those wehonest pads are too thick and quality is awful. I have orderd similar to Topsax pads (I think that manufactor is same) straight from Shanghai and quality is very good. I orderd 5300 pads from 8 to 64 mm (14,3kg!!!) and total inkl.shiping was 1450€ (1960$). From same factory comes very high quality flute and clarinet pads and you can order all pads (inkl. saxpads) in 0.1mm steps.

·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
averageschmoe said:
life's too short to use cheap pads.
Cheap maybe, inexpensive no!

As has been discussed ad infinitum there are some very good inexpensive saxes out there, and it pays to be open minded.

Thanks for your input t-tane. I see Topsax now distributes from the Netherlands, so no nasty customs/VAT for us European buyers. I've been dissuaded from buying via eBay US as they ship DHL, and in my experience DHL always puts its consignments through customs. :x

·
Registered
790 Posts
stitch said:
Cheap maybe, inexpensive no!

As has been discussed ad infinitum there are some very good inexpensive saxes out there, and it pays to be open minded.

Thanks for your input t-tane. I see Topsax now distributes from the Netherlands, so no nasty customs/VAT for us European buyers. I've been dissuaded from buying via eBay US as they ship DHL, and in my experience DHL always puts its consignments through customs. :x
You still pay VAT but since this is a delivery within the EU you don't see it seperately, it's already in the listed price, otherwise the price in USD should match the price in Euro's.
The USA price is 90$ wich is approx. 65 Euro. Your link shows 77 Euro and the difference is the taxes.

·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grumpie said:
You still pay VAT but since this is a delivery within the EU you don't see it seperately, it's already in the listed price, otherwise the price in USD should match the price in Euro's.
You're right of course Grumpie. However, when importing to the UK, customs duties are levied on the goods PLUS shipping, and I suspect (though don't know for sure) that VAT is too. So on that basis I'd save a little VAT if it's pre-paid.

·
Registered
790 Posts
stitch said:
You're right of course Grumpie. However, when importing to the UK, customs duties are levied on the goods PLUS shipping, and I suspect (though don't know for sure) that VAT is too. So on that basis I'd save a little VAT if it's pre-paid.
Yes, you're right about that. If they make the calculation the way they should they first determine 'customsvalue' depending on delivery terms. Often this is sales price + cost of shipping to EU border (but with this kind of shipping they probably just ad the shipping costs total) and they will charge you with the importduty (2.7% on parts, 3.2 on instruments). This 2.7% goes on top of the customs value and then the VAT is calculated. So you pay 2.7% over customsvalue + the total VAT.
And if you have really bad luck they even might charge you with declaration fees.

Don't know for the UK but here often the smaller packages with 'lower' (up to $100) value will slip through, no declaration at all. But only when shipped usps. UPS and Fedex will always charge you with incredible fees on top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Folks.. interesting posts on the Topsax pads.. I will give you the straight information right from the horses mouth.. the pads I sell in the USA come from Precision Pads(tm).. The pads I ship to the Netherlands (for distribution into Europe) come from my factory in China and are trademarked Topsax(tm). These pads do not come from some low quality Chinese factory. If you rip the Topsax(tm) pads apart you will find only high-end parts... premium grade skins, woven felt, backing, stainless-steel resonators, etc. These pads are really sweet!

Okay, about the differences in prices! The pads are slightly higher in Europe because of 2 things. I have to (1) ship them in bulk to the Netherlands by DHL Express and (2) pay the VAT tax to get them into the country. Also, we ship products legally. If you are buying pads from China and they are putting goofy custom's declarations on these shipments, sooner or later you will get caught. Sure, if you buy $20.00 worth of pads then it is no big deal. But, if you ship $1,000.00 worth of pads into Europe and get the shipment impounded you will think twice about playing games next time... Much better to be safe than sorry. And what is the big deal about prices here. Pizoni in Italy is charging you guys in Europe at least 2 times what I charge for the same quality pads. And folks, I know the difference. I install Pizoni pads in my Designer Series and Topsax saxophones at the factory. HOWEVER, this is going to change. In the future most of my horns will be shipped with Topsax(tm) pads.

The pads on eBay have been cheap in the USA, but that is going to change. USPS has significantly raised their shipping costs and the prices of good quality leather, felt, and resonators has really risen in the US in the past few months..

Basically, prices are going to be about equal (between Europe and the USA) WHEN the next few listings start to come out on eBay.

Bottom line, you are better off getting the pads in the Netherlands if you live in Europe. There is no VAT to pay.. and the big advantage is I still pay the shipping in Europe.. the €77,00 (euros) INCLUDES shipping. With the NEW eBay listings, there is going to be a $10.00 surcharge for pads shipped from the USA to any international country. USPS just raised Global Priority (now called International Priority) by about 80%. And then, you still have to pay the VAT on the USA import.

I hope this information clears things up. If you have any additional questions about pads in Europe or the USA, please write me. My website link has a message center for easy contact.

Cheers,
Bob Campbell ~ Topsax
http://legendsax.com
or http://topsaxusa.com

·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Bob, it's great to get it from the horse's mouth. I'll definitely be ordering some in due course. I know you offer alto sets on eBay, but do you have bigger/smaller pads available too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Available Pads to Europe Now..

Hi Stitch.. thanks for the reply.. I normally sell Grab Bags on eBay.. they give the average buyer a better chance of being able to use the pads.. if you buy some of these SETS from China, you never know whether the sizes offered will actually fit your saxophone.. here is an example of the € 77,00 Grab Bag I now have in Europe:

5 pads EACH (in mm sizes) of the following:

8.0, 9.5, 10.0, 14.0, 16.0, 17.0, 18.0, 19.0, 23.0, 25.0, 27.0, 30.0, 31.0,
32.0, 33.0, 36.0, 37.0, 38.0, 39.0, 41.0, 43.0, 46.0, 47.0, 48.0, 50.0

However, I would like to be able to sell some smaller packages in Europe.. DOES anyone have a better idea??.. just selling something that says a Selmer or Yamaha type SET is not always the best answer.. these sax factories can many times have different specs for their saxophone lines.

Any tech that really needs a good selection of pads should just contact me.. you can custom order anything you want... There are just basic requirements that need to be met if you want to get the really good factory- direct pricing.

Sorry I am sounding like an advertisement here.. not trying to get around the FORUM rules.. just trying to be more clear of what we can do for Europe now..

Cheers,
Bob Campbell

·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Topsax said:
Any tech that really needs a good selection of pads should just contact me.. you can custom order anything you want... There are just basic requirements that need to be met if you want to get the really good factory- direct pricing.

Sorry I am sounding like an advertisement here.. not trying to get around the FORUM rules.. just trying to be more clear of what we can do for Europe now..

Cheers,
Bob Campbell
Thanks again Bob, that's great info. Being able to order value for money custom sets is just what's needed. Now, have you ever thought about branching out into clarinet, oboe, flute .........?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sure.. I sell a lot of Flute and Clarinet pads, BUT..

Stitch, I have Grab Bags for the Flute and Clarinet, but I was thinking this is a Saxophone forum..:)

Cheers,
Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts