Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking for comments about DG the crook please.:faceinpalm:

Interested in knowing what model and how it responds in the upper register.

B

·
Premium Member
15,487 Posts
I have 4 mint unused (except for me trying them out) guardala altos here and all play very well.
They speak clearly in the upper register and all are free blowing. These are the handmade models. I have a couple kings with the nice long baffles, a bebop model and one other i cant recall at the moment. Theyre silverplated and mint.
The tips are .084-.090 i believe. These are great pieces if you dig the metal thing. Very clear voices and excellent altissimo. I find the low end very fat too.

If interested, contact me at: [email protected]

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure that you would give me sage advice since you have owned so many GD's. Currently playing on a 10 year old Tenor "Studio" and can not believe how responsive it is. I might have to sell a kidney to buy an original alto though. :)

B

·
Premium Member
15,487 Posts
half a kidney. :)

These are great pieces for sure. They have a really solid, rich core to the sound. Enjoy your Studio. I like the laser trimmed models a bunch too---very underrated pieces. I've had some that were fantastic.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yup, I play a King, original handmade. It's loud, focused and bright, very responsive with altissimo that could be used in place of whatever laser they use to trim the current DG pieces:) I still remember the first month I spent on that piece...it just felt so wild (as in squirrely and hard to control) compared to the Meyer I was using at the time. Took a lot of shedding to get my face/airstream to the point where I could control the sound, but since then it's been a great affair.

Mine's a bit unique - the chamber was bored just a smidge off-center. Not noticeable looking into the mouthpiece from the tip, but looking into it from the shank it's way obvious. Don't think it affects playability much - I've played several other Kings from the same period that were very symmetrical, and there didn't seem to be much difference piece to piece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts