Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an older Meyer NY (white writing, not gold as it is now). It says number 9 medium facing, medium chamber.

In the beginning I thought it's great, than I started to find it a bit boring, and now I'm kind of rediscovering it with a bit harder reeds as actually an interesting mouthpiece.

Maybe you like to share your experience or opinion about it? There is not much on the web in terms of statements or YT videos, it doesn't seem to be the to go mouthpiece for the most of tenor players...
As I come more from alto, it's kind of a standard there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey there,
When I was in college (circa 20 something years ago) I used to have HR Meyer #7 probably modern run but hard to tell as I got it second hand and the color was brown from being exposed to the sun I suppose. I really liked it and regret selling. I was young and dumb and under pressure from band director insisting on me playing metal pieces when in big band. They are nice in their own regard.

Отправлено с моего POCO F1 через Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was almost about to sell it, too. Then I thought I'll give a second chance, and I'm glad I did... Thanks for your contribution!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
My #8 Meyer is my main tenor piece since 1978. I don't know how old it is. It came in the case of my first tenor. I think it has a good combination of edge, projection, and richness of tone. The chamber's a little smaller than the "New Vintage" Otto Link (reissue of "slant signature) I recently bought; the Meyer's just a bit brighter in sound.

I'm not sure why so few tenor players use Meyer.

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I have a couple HR Meyers that play really nice. I suspect one of the major reasons that you don't see them being used more on tenor is because most of the ones you see are relatively small tip openings. I believe a 10M is as large as they come and that's around a .105. I think I have 5, 6, and 7Ms and the 6M was what I played in concert bands and sax quartet for a few years. For me a tip opening around .080 - .085 is what suits me best for that type of playing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all contributions.I'm exploring my Meyer HR 9 and the longer I do that, the more I'm surprised how good it is, given that so few people seem to play it...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Played an Old NY Meyer 7 on for about 10 years before switching my HR Link thing. Great pieces and extremely flexible.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spent some more time with the Meyer 9. I think this is one of the most underrated tenor HR pieces I know of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts