Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an I tunes clip of just the beginning adagio section but I can't find a complete recording by anybody. I really like the intervals and implied harmony in this piece. Just take a year to "get it " I guess. I bought the sheet music and will work on it. K

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I tunes for some reason doesn't have any complete recordings but many are available. I have a Drucker recording with the NY Philharmonic, a Richard Stoltzman and I believe a few others. Check out YouTube. Almost every major clarinetist has recorded this.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Martin Frost recorded the piece. He is an extremely talented musician and I'm sure this recording is just as good as the classical ones I've heard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Keith, This is a wonderful piece which AAron Copeland actually composed for Benny Goodman. The Adagio is really nice....it gives way to the second movement which is an extended 2 page cadenza. It is unaccompanied and escalates from the adagio feel to a rather frantic wrapup which segues into the 3rd movement. The 3rd mvt is very jazz inspired. It is a one of a kind concerto. I played this on a junior recital back in the 70s. The entire piece is on youtube. I have recently listened to it there. This piece is just plain fun once you get it under your fingers.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Paul Meyer recorded a beautiful version or it. The cadenza is delightful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts