Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
Do any of you own a whisper room? If so, what model? Standard or enhanced? And what size?
I'm considering buying one and would like your opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I used to have one, but I sold it. It was too loud on the inside, and not sufficiently ventilated. I even bought Foam Soundproofing panels to deaden the sound. I had the 4x4 model. That was too much of a confined space. If it was absolutely the only way you could practice, I may consider it. But I'd recommend it only as a last resort.

If you're doing it b/c you don't want to wake the kids, they'll get used to it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Greetings!
Do any of you own a whisper room? If so, what model? Standard or enhanced? And what size?
I'm considering buying one and would like your opinions.

Thanks!
I've got one, bought it almost 4 yrs ago when my first son was born---I live in a small house, and there would be no chance of ever playing otherwise. Its been great, I have the 4 x 6. I got mine used from a friend who used it while he lived in New York. I have gotten used to the sound, and I actually think its been good for my concept of tone---really forces you to hear to core of the sound and not be thrown off by the acoustics of the room. I spent $2000 on mine, I dare say its been the best $2000 I have spent on gear. I think new they are more than double that now....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I was actually considering the 3.5x3.5 model. But if the 4x4 is too much of a confined space then the 3.5x3.5 would be way too small.

And I'm doing it because I don't want my neighbors to complain.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I think its the standard. It comes with a small ventilation fan, works pretty well. Actually, this winter has been so cold I have had to use a heater in mine when using it as its in my basement and gets pretty chilly....

FWIW, when I was researching mine I called the company and they were really helpful....

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I am pretty sensitive to loud levels, and I don't find mine too loud. I do have the interior treated with foam panels though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had foam panels and my ears would ring after playing in it. The guy I bought it from was a flute player, and attributed his tinnitus to how loud it was inside the Whisper Room.

Try talking to your neighbors, and see if your practicing is bothersome. You may save yourself 1-2k bucks.

You could try blowing into a closet full of coats.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Though I do not own a one of these, I have seen one in person and they seem to be made of quality material. While standing outside of the booth listening to a friend play inside the booth, the sound level was equivalent to having a radio or television on in the room at a very low volume. I was impressed.

Just a suggestion for those that said that the booth is too loud inside, you may want to look into getting foam earplugs to wear while playing in the booth. That would greatly reduce the imact on your ears while still allowing you to hear rather well.

As a side note: regrding ventilation - I believe that when I was reading their info that some of the larger booths require (or have an option for) a second ventilation system.

Dan

·
Registered
609 Posts
How heavy are the panels?, i am thinking of picking one up about 3 1/2 hrs. from where i live and i have a family van.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Measure your ceiling height first. I needed about 8.5 clearance to install it, even though panels are about 8 feet.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, I'm ok in regards to dimensions for installment I'm just worried about the weight of it. Maybe renting a truck is the best thing.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've had one for nearly four years. I love it. My only issue is with the ventilation. I find the fans a bit loud for me and, as it draws in air from the room, it gets too hot for me when my place is hot in the summer. I don't have any problems with the sound inside being too loud and mine is 4' by 6'. I bought it used and it cost me more to ship it than the purchase price. Still it was delivered to the door of the building, it is modular and I just rolled the parts into my apartment. I can practice 24/7 with no complaints. I may look into upgrading the ventilation but usually take a break every 40 minutes or so, open the door, take a stretch, grab a cold drink and I'm good to go for another session.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Picking mine up tomorrow, to say that i am excited is an understatement. Got it used, my wife found it online....love that woman....:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
wow, wha a great thing this whisper room!

I've been having troubles practicing at home in Germany for all this years. Although we have a law here which allows everyone to play at home .
Before I went to Uganda with my wife as medical personal I built myself a boot in the basement using wood sheets and aplying thick styrofoam plates and adding foam over it and even making a door of the same material. The problem... it was very cold in winther and hot in summer with no ventilation. A cabine like this "whisper room" looks like a great solution. In Africa I never had problems playing at home (imagine how much place we have there) and I even used to climb on the top of a tower where we had 4 big water tanks to play the sax. Sometimes in the morning but mainly by sundown. The sound was heard miles away in the villages and surrounding area in the bush.:mrgreen: people liked it much. I wouldn't dare to try it here , I could be shot down.

Talking to the neighbors or not they all don't like to hear "the exercises and practice". Nice melodies, yes they do "when" they are in the mood, but scales and long tones not.

No I am working on a modification of one bedroom in the new flat in order to reduce the loudness. I'll show pics when its finished. Will be of course a compromisse.

Congrats to you all guys who can afford for such "whisper room", playing carefree.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts