Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the album "The John Coltrane Quartet Plays" in which we see Trane playing a soloist on the cover which I'm pretty sure he also played on the record but correct me if Im wrong, however do any of you know if he played that soloist on any other recordings? I have head he used it for other albums recorded in 1965 such as Sun Ship and Meditations but i'm not to sure, do any of you have any pictures or know any information on this? btw I am not asking because I want to get the gear to sound like Trane I am just curious about this topic. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
You can find the mouthpiece from the correct period but what you can never know is if he had it worked-on and what may have been done to it. There were a number of mouthpiece guys in NY at the time and any player of note playing a 'stock' mouthpiece would have been the exception.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
There are a few videos of Trane in 1965, like the Belgium concert and a live performance of a Love Supreme..... he is using a Link in all the videos but maybe he used a Soloist in the studio because he liked how it recorded? Soloists tend to sound absolutely massive when well-miked but don’t always project enough live without the help of amplification ..... I’ve heard Joe Henderson in a rehearsal unmiked and couldn’t really hear a note he played but with a mic his sound was HUGE. Just throwing a conspiracy out there!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,148 Posts
I asked Joe Henderson if he had work done on his pieces he said no.
His sound wasn’t loud in a live setting but it was full and
beautiful. I saw him for a short period on the longer
version of a Soloist but at the end of his career he had
a short shank again.....

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I saw Joe a couple of times live and, yeah, was straining my ears to hear him. Too bad as he was a great player.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would never assume a mouthpiece on the album cover photo is the one he plays on the album unless they did a photo shoot during the actual session. But we may never know.
So true!! My instinct would be to think no he didnt play it.. could have been a one off gig photo or a Selmer promo thing?! He does mention in an in interview (taken from his book of compiled interviews) that he went to Selmer to try lots of their mouthpieces during the 60s..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts