Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a minor GAS-attack I´ve just bougth a JodyJazz Classic 8 and a Beechler Bellite 7. I like them both, but last nigth rehearsing for a funk gig, I picket up my 25 year old Lakey; - and It var like coming home after a long vacation. But It´s still thin, lacks body and complexity, especially in the low notes. I ”demands” that I play loud and the intonation is not great. Perhaps I should reface the old Lakey and stop the GAS?

It there anybody out there that have had their Claude Lakey (7*3 alto) refaced/modifyed?

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Lakeys usually benefit greatly from a reface for a number of reasons - particularly the baffle/tip finishing. I have an alto 7*3 that I planned on refacing at some point. If you would like to know more about the project, you can email me from my SOTW profile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
I have a Lakey 5*3 that I refaced and modified. It had the tip problem that Ed describes and due to the "pea-shooter" nature of the innards, made for squirrely response and a big intonation problem. I opened it to .090 and took out a lot of the squeeze in the chamber. All problems solved, but still not my favorite piece. Do e-mail Ed- his work is excellent!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Interesting. In the past I hated every Lakey I've tried, but am trying a borrowed 7*3 and it's not bad. The intonation is decent and it didn't squeak. Does the 7*3 have a bit larger chamber than some of the others? Or perhaps with the larger tip I can move the pitch easier... This mpc may have had some facing work because the table doesn't have so large of a depression as new ones and the side rails are somewhat wider than usual and balanced. The new ones seem to have rail much thinner than the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts