Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a horn on the Tenor Madness website. They offer a warranty that I really don't much care about since I've got a good local repair tech that I trust ( he's an old friend from high school and he plays flute and sax better than me ).

What I'd really like to know is... if their setup of used horns is worthwhile? :cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
693 Posts
I've never used them myself, because I haven't able to afford them. They are one of the most well-respected sax shops in the country, and have the reputation of being expert repairmen. Their setups are ranted and raved about (in a good way). You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Bluesman0511 said:
I'm looking at a horn on the Tenor Madness website. They offer a warranty that I really don't much care about since I've got a good local repair tech that I trust ( he's an old friend from high school and he plays flute and sax better than me ).

What I'd really like to know is... if their setup of used horns is worthwhile? :cool:
I have two horns that were set up by Tenor Madness. They do excellent work. Especially on my Martin Bari, which was rescued from a junior high school. The keywork is smooth like butter without any loose "play" in the action. It hasn't needed any adjustment since purchased earlier this year, and it's seen some playing time. Everybody raves about their set ups.

I noticed you're in Ohio - you might also check out Junkdude if you haven't already. I have a horn purchased from them that I am also very happy with, set-up wise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,299 Posts
pc1234 said:
I have two horns that were set up by Tenor Madness. They do excellent work. Especially on my Martin Bari, which was rescued from a junior high school. The keywork is smooth like butter without any loose "play" in the action. It hasn't needed any adjustment since purchased earlier this year, and it's seen some playing time. Everybody raves about their set ups.

I noticed you're in Ohio - you might also check out Junkdude if you haven't already. I have a horn purchased from them that I am also very happy with, set-up wise.
I agee with both these statements. I think you'd be happy with Tom at Junkdude doing the set up. He's really quite good. And you don't have to wait forever.;)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My reference 54 was set up perfectly, never had any problems with it, and my Tenor Buescher TH&C is in perfect playing condition...my favorite tenor I've ever played.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys... good feedback!!!

Anyone else that has an opinion, Pro or Con, about Tenor Madness or Junkdude, please feel free to wade in on this.

·
14,959 Posts
Randy is a Great guy and a perfectionist. Some techs may be his equal, but nobody is better. I have had him work on instruments for me and am extremely satisfied with his work, you could not ask for better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,693 Posts
My Ref 36 was a great playing horn before Randy worked on it and now it is even better. Outstanding. I've a friend with a considerable collection of vintage tenors - some have been reworked by Randy, one is currently with Randy, and the rest of any of the not-yet-great horns are waiting their turns. Highly recommended.

You may have a friend that can set up a horn but few have the considerable experience and knowledge of Randy Jones.

·
1,423 Posts
I have to give Kudos to Randy as well, I am a 4 time customer of his and would go back if I were in the market for more. I recommend visiting him if you can-he provides excellent feedback when you're trialing, and for me he has been exactly right...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Randy

I am a tech myself but my shop has some limitiations due to location.

I sent a horn to Tenor Madness for some specialty work that I did not have the tools for and since it came back has been my personal instrument.

Great guys, great work and he charged me less than the quote!

·
Registered
55 Posts
After buying my alto and having my VI overhauled from Randy I have to say that he is the best tech I have ever worked with. Definately worth the money!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts