Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a problem that has really stumped me. I have no problem with the front f on alto, tenor or bari, but I have never been able to make the front f speak on my Yanagisawa S901. I thought it was a problem with the sax (a leak somewhere), but I took it to a dealer who is an accomplished musician and he had no problems.

It is no big deal, but it is frustrating!:evil:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can get my front F to speak on my Yanagisawa Elimona, but it doesn't speak as easily as the palm F.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I'm having trouble with front F too ... oh, wait ... my Mark VI doesnt have that key ... hmmm
I have never found a need for it...even altissimo. Just more weight & potential leakage.
As is that RH F# lever thingy that no-one ever uses.

·
14,440 Posts
I have sopranos with front-F, and have 'em without the front-F. For me, the front-F is not as solid as the palm-keys F, but it will speak for me. My issue is that I rarely if ever play that high (I also have hi-F# and hi-G on some of those horns and I don't go there either). All of my stuff is improv so I have a choice - and I choose not to play them.

I think it is a matter of 1) chops, 2) mouthpiece choice, and 3) reed choice. DAVE

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Strange thing the soprano. I use that F all the time on alto and tenor but rarely on soprano as I prefer the palm F. It's a tricky note anyway.

Things to try are working on breath support and embouchure, it could be you aren't taking in enough mouthpiece for instance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use front F all the time on soprano.
It is a better fingering if you are going up into altissimo.

Plus, for me, it has a fuller sound than the palm F.

·
2,077 Posts
You the man then.
Cant think of many tasteful situations where I need to be playing altissimo on a soprano ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
That is a key that needs to be adjusted so that the F palm key does not open all of the way. Try putting a small piece of paper under the key where it hits the stack keys. That way the stack will close all of the way but the F pad will open maybe half way. If that works, you may need to have the cork/felt under it made larger or have the cork under the lever where it opens the F sanded down (if possible). That front F is just a key that opens the F palm so you can get the same results by fingering A2 and adding the palm F.

As to the aforementioned fork F# on the lower stack....I use it all of the time. Makes a really Smooth F>F#>F.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
You the man then.
Cant think of many tasteful situations where I need to be playing altissimo on a soprano ...
If you're in F, it's nice to have the high G. I practice up to C, up rarely use anything above G. (Oh, no front f. No need)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have sopranos with front-F, and have 'em without the front-F. For me, the front-F is not as solid as the palm-keys F, but it will speak for me. My issue is that I rarely if ever play that high (I also have hi-F# and hi-G on some of those horns and I don't go there either). All of my stuff is improv so I have a choice - and I choose not to play them.

I think it is a matter of 1) chops, 2) mouthpiece choice, and 3) reed choice. DAVE
Same here.

·
3,202 Posts
That is a key that needs to be adjusted so that the F palm key does not open all of the way. Try putting a small piece of paper under the key where it hits the stack keys. That way the stack will close all of the way but the F pad will open maybe half way. If that works, you may need to have the cork/felt under it made larger or have the cork under the lever where it opens the F sanded down (if possible). That front F is just a key that opens the F palm so you can get the same results by fingering A2 and adding the palm F.

As to the aforementioned fork F# on the lower stack....I use it all of the time. Makes a really Smooth F>F#>F.
I believe there is pivot with an adjustment screw on the lever that opens the f palm key on the S901/902 so you may able to try moving that instead of sanding the cork.

·
14,440 Posts
I just looked at my S901 . . . nothing to stop the hi-F from opening a set distance other than a cork on the foot of that key. And, on my S901, the hi-F pad opens an equal distance regardless of whether it is opened using front-F or the palm-F. Same with my S992. DAVE

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have this problem on the SA80II, it's just a soprano thing b/c the key seems relatively high up on the bore and smaller, in scale comparison to the other saxophones. Design quirks... like G2 on a tenor.

·
3,202 Posts
I have an S902 which I assume has the same key work as the 901. If you look on the lever that the front F key uses to open the palm F you will see a phillips screw with a dowel like thing attached to it. There is a slot that these slide in to adjust the amount that the palm F opens. If you loosen the phillips screw and play around with adjusting the position of the dowel mechanism in the slot you may be able to get the front F to speak better. It worked for me but I actually had to make the palm F open a bit more by sliding the dowel thing in its slot, to the side away from the palm key side.

I'm just an undistinguished guy here on SOTW and you have gotten a lot of answers from distinguished guys but this actually worked for me so good luck with it.

·
14,440 Posts
bstrom: After reading your last post, I re-examined my S992 (same as the S901 essentially) and looked closely at that mechanism. It seems to me that the little slotted adjusting screw alongside the B pad is there to push on the rod that operates the doughnut pad above B - the one that opens all the way or just half of it opens depending on which octave one plays - an intonation device, I believe. It doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with the front-F although the front-F mechanism does appear to make that slotted screw's bottom move down to the rod. By the way, I didn't see any philips-head screws on my Yanagisawas.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe one of the tech's on the board could clarify. DAVE

·
3,202 Posts
ok, well I've got a phillips adjusting screw on my lever mechanism that opens the f -palm key on my S902 so the keywork must be different on the S992. I don't think I can be imagining it because when I move that mechanism in it's slot it actually changes the amount the f palm key opens. However believe what you what to believe, who am I to argue? Just a guy with an opinion and two eyes and a Phillips screwdriver.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts