Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His album, "Devotion", was simply fantastic.

I think the stuff they play of his on The Wave doesn't really exemplify his true ability. Personally, I think his strength lies in his raw ability to put the right idea in the right place ALL THE TIME.

Any other fans of his out there?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I find him to be very bland - diatonic and wimpy, like the Lionel Richie of the saxophone. I have seen him live an heard him in studio and for ME, he's a big yawn-inducer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On his latest album, PopJazz, he actually does a tune called "Bridgin' the Gap." It's basically a funk head with Giant Steps turnarounds on the bridge... it's amazing how easily he just plays through it like butter, and does it musically.

I'm not crazy about *all* of his stuff, but no question he's in my top 5 favorite players out there.

·
Registered
762 Posts
kevvieg said:
I find him to be very bland - diatonic and wimpy, like the Lionel Richie of the saxophone. I have seen him live an heard him in studio and for ME, he's a big yawn-inducer.

kevvieg, your bang out of order. What's wrong with Lionel Richie ? :D

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
Warren Hill is a very good player. Ive seen him live and he is tremendous. his sound is anything but wimpy. he is a monster player !one of the best smooth jazz guys out there in my opinion.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Definitely one of the best smooth jazz alto player out there... Amazing range and control of the altissimo, too.

Kenny.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I guess I'm not into "smooth" in the modern sense of the word. If I want smooth I'll listen to Getz or Grover. I sat through a whole Warren Hill concert and I never heard anything with any harmonic or rhythmic tension. More importantly, I just never felt any sense of him "going for it" - playing with any sort of aggression. He reminded me of a more in-tune version of the G-man.

That's just my opinion - millions of smooth fans' opinions carry more weight than mine :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts