Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are some metronome and tap tempo apps for Apple Watch. But its screen is too small to easily control popular apps like AudioBus, Loopy, Tonestack or TouchOSC, which are integral to my own chain. And I doubt it'd add any value to those apps without also adding networking complications and latency.

FWIW my guitarist is really into music software and DAW controls and surfaces, but doesn't use his Apple Watch for music.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Tonal Energy Tuner has several features you can use on the watch. The metronome features use haptics to tap your wrist and the crown to speed up / slow down the count, and the tuner portion shows your tuning on the watch - It apparently uses the mic on your phone to "hear" your tuning though, so the phone still needs to be close by. I can neither recommend nor reject its usefulness though. When I use a metronome, it's midi generated in a recording environment, and saxophones I usually tune by ear. On the rare occasions I need to use the tuner in the app, I have to get out my phone to open the app, so there's no benefit for me to use the watch. Mostly I use the watch to keep from having to reach for the phone. Performance wise - You probably shouldn't be looking at your watch on stage if you can help it.

MY favorite watch features are the light for when I get home at 3:00 AM and don't want to turn on the lights, and the ability to ping your phone when you've misplaced it. It's also useful for dismissing calls you don't want to take, or reading a text without having to reach for the phone. I guess the decibel meter is pretty cool, but it really just tells you what you already know - when the band starts, it's too loud to play for long without hearing protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts