Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any US-based SOTWer bought a horn from Ozwinds? They have some really good prices, but I'm worried about shipping time and rough handling between Australia and the US. I'd rather not be left with a $6000 piece of scrap metal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,249 Posts
They’re only a few miles from me and I barely ever use them due to their prices.
So I’d be interested to know what they have that is priced better than you can get it for in the US?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their Yamaha YBS-62 after shipping is still more than $2000 cheaper than online prices for anywhere in the US, and about $500 cheaper than Matthew's in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,138 Posts
It probably has to do with customs and tariffs. I checked out Netherlands prices before I visited there last month because I heard they were way cheaper. And they were a lot cheaper than US prices. Then I looked into US customs and found out they add on a lot for taxes. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
It probably has to do with customs and tariffs. I checked out Netherlands prices before I visited there last month because I heard they were way cheaper. And they were a lot cheaper than US prices. Then I looked into US customs and found out they add on a lot for taxes. Very disappointing.
I'd contact Matthew's and find out what their latest experience has been. Several SOTW US members have bought from them and not paid any additional taxes or customs fees. This changes from time-to-time and with all the new tariffs being imposed now who knows what is being tracked, taxed, or tariffed at this point.

I've seen some cheap prices (relative to typical US pricing) listed for shops in Australia but I believe many of them won't ship new instruments to the US based upon agreements they have with the manufacturers. At least that's the impression I've gotten with the small amount of investigating I've done.

·
8,249 Posts
Their Yamaha YBS-62 after shipping is still more than $2000 cheaper than online prices for anywhere in the US, and about $500 cheaper than Matthew's in the Netherlands.
Wow, this is very surprising to me based on past experiences.
Pity I’m not looking for a 32 or 62 Baritone.
Last time I looked their price for a YBS62 was nearer to $12000.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,138 Posts
Originally Posted by AddictedToSax

I'd contact Matthew's and find out what their latest experience has been. Several SOTW US members have bought from them and not paid any additional taxes or customs fees. This changes from time-to-time and with all the new tariffs being imposed now who knows what is being tracked, taxed, or tariffed at this point.

I've seen some cheap prices (relative to typical US pricing) listed for shops in Australia but I believe many of them won't ship new instruments to the US based upon agreements they have with the manufacturers. At least that's the impression I've gotten with the small amount of investigating I've done.
I went back to try to find where I found the tariffs on woodwinds imported from NL to the US and couldn't find it. Back in early April I did find an online calculator where you put in your instrument, the price, where it's from and where it's going and it would give you the taxes on it. I can't find it now. Today when I looked at the Harmonized Tariff Schedule and tried to figure out the markup on importing a sax from AU, if I'm correctly interpreting it, there's no US tariff on imported woodwinds from AU. I wish I could find that original calculator because I think it ws Matthews' prices I was looking at.

·
4,430 Posts
$8495 AU converts to $5854.80USD today. From Ozwinds. Plus shipping and any duties or taxes.
Pricing I’m finding on the US side at Musicians Friend, WWB or Sam Ash is consistent at
$8500 for lacquered brass and about $9023 for silver plated. $2646 difference is a nice chunk.
These numbers above are from the Sam Ash listing. This including $100 rebate this weekends Sale with free shipping. Also if you find a advertised price from a brick and mortar store they will often try to match the price. Worth a try.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Wow, this is very surprising to me based on past experiences.
Pity I’m not looking for a 32 or 62 Baritone.
Yep, they've got a 62 marked down from $11,499 to $8,495. Shpping costs to Seppoland would eat up a fair bit of that discount.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well unfortunately it's all moot:
Ozwinds said:
Sadly, we have been told we can no longer ship Yamaha musical instruments out side Australia, due to new dealership agreements with Yamaha.

We are in the process of reflecting this on our web site.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully Matthews doesn't hit this little snag, too, or I may never get my 62.

·
Registered
924 Posts
About 12 years ago I purchased a YTS-62 from somewhere in Australia, and saved a bunch having it shipped to the US. A bit later on I purchased a YAS-62II from the same dealer (I wish I remembered who it was!) and while the price was good, the order was actually filled by a shop in Indiana. I'm not sure what sort of arrangement they had worked out, but while the alto price was good, it wasn't the type of deal I got on the tenor. Since then I have settled on a more local dealer with an excellent repair facility.

If you are willing to shop at a distance, check out the benefits of the weak pound at sax.co.uk. There are great savings to be had there, or at other UK instrument dealers shipping to other parts of the world.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
About 12 years ago I purchased a YTS-62 from somewhere in Australia, and saved a bunch having it shipped to the US. A bit later on I purchased a YAS-62II from the same dealer (I wish I remembered who it was!) and while the price was good, the order was actually filled by a shop in Indiana. I'm not sure what sort of arrangement they had worked out, but while the alto price was good, it wasn't the type of deal I got on the tenor. Since then I have settled on a more local dealer with an excellent repair facility.

If you are willing to shop at a distance, check out the benefits of the weak pound at sax.co.uk. There are great savings to be had there, or at other UK instrument dealers shipping to other parts of the world.
Or shop up north And take advantage of our super weak Loonie.

Anyone want a wicked playing Mark VI?

http://brassandwoodwind.ca/SelmerMarkVITenor_172XXX.html

I'd have bought it in a heartbeat if I had the cash. I actually always forward links from Don's shop to people looking for deals on stuff from the states. Check out his whole inventory. He doesn't sell bad horns.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,452 Posts
I looked into this recently as well, and I was not disappointed. Assuming you have to pay them, the duties on saxophones imported from the EU into the US are only 4.9% of the purchase price (you can find the rates listed here, in chapter 92). I find that very reasonable. It's considerably lower than sales tax anywhere that I've lived in the US, and its far lower than the VAT in the countries of origin.

·
4,430 Posts
Well unfortunately it's all moot:
So sweettalk B-flat or Mike T into buying it then shipping it here. Technically it would be used. Shipping to Seppoland needs to be investigated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As a U.S.A. purchaser you wont pay Netherlands V.A.T but will pay your applicable duties . As a British buyer from the U.S. we dont pay state tax but have approx 30% added on this ' side of the pond ' .I have found the Ebay global ship scheme excellent and simple to use .

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it’s just a generic Yamaha and not something unique why not buy something used here?
I do keep my eyes open for used YBS-62s, but I'm not quite ready to buy yet, and they don't come up often, or stick around for long. That being said, I recently came across a used one for about the same price as Matthew's is selling for new. For the same money I'd rather have new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts