Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any TW02 Users. How you getting on, thoughts.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm lovin' mine. I'm just a weekend warrior, and I'm not someone who can make a lot of knowledgeable comparisons between dozens of new and vintage horns, but FWIW, I thought Yani really nailed it with the TWO series. I'd played some 901s and 991s and while I thought the ergonomics were wonderful, the sound didn't excite me. The TWO1s and TW02s did! I'm terrible at describing this kind of thing, but it felt to me like the TW0s had a nice solid core with a certain, I dunno, energy or "sizzle" to it that I hadn't gotten out of other Yanis. And the keywork is just unbelievably smooth and light. I have small hands so I can have a hard time with some vintage horns, and ergs are very important to me, so that was a big factor in getting a Yani. I also tend to blow a little bright, so I thought getting the bronze model might help me get a little darker sound, not sure if that actually happened. It's an open question in my mind as to whether it's worth it to pay the extra for the bronze. Not that I'm regretting it, just something to think about. My particular horn needed to have the neck fit adjusted, which kind of surprised me, given Yani's rep for scrupulous quality control, but of course that's a simple fix. Took me a while to find just the right mouthpiece--almost anything sounded good, but after lots of experimentation I settled on a Barone SNY, and now I'd have to say I'm probably happier with my set up than I've ever been.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mlucky,,, yea never grabbed me there other tenors. Owend a nice 992 and 991 tenor but were back ups. Blew the W01, W02 and W10 a while back. Really loved the WO2 Bronze. Need another try on one.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Late to the party, but have had my TWO1 for only 11 days. Purchased it new. Since the design is identical to the TWO2, aside from the brass vs bronze issue, it should indeed be close enough.

I really like this instrument. It has great intonation, it plays with ease top to bottom, and is solidly constructed. The tone is also great, although I am not one to characterize an instrument's tone in a few words. By varying the mouthpiece/reed combination I can dramatically tailor how this sax (or any that I have owned) sounds. I am still dialing it in, but I am confident that my TWO1 will be able to do whatever I need it to do.

I am not in the camp that believes that body metal does, or should, have a major impact on sound. Also, I don't want to engage in that debate here. I saw your report of the test you made between the TWO1, TWO2 and TWO10, and if I had to chose between those three specific instruments I probably would have chosen the TWO2. However, I would not expect those differences to necessarily generalize to all examples of these models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my TW02 for about 18 months now and have grown into the horn to the point where I truly appreciate it now. I purchased it to replace a P. Mauriat 66R tenor that I liked very much, particularly with its very nice low end and subtoning ability; however, I had constant intonation issues and and felt like I had to fight the horn too much to make it play well.

As I was just getting back into playing after a long layoff, I decided that I needed a horn that was going to help me get my chops back without getting in my way. I narrowed down my choices to the TWO2 and a demo Yamaha 82Z II. While the 82Z is a great horn - very responsive, easy altissimo - I chose the TWO2 over it. For me, I found the keywork/ergos a shade slicker and compact on the TW02 and the core/depth/overtones on many of the notes - particularly the lower end and bell key notes - were fuller, more complex than the 82Z. Also, I use a 992/W020 underslung (under and over) neck on my TW02 to give a bit more depth to its sound.

Lastly, there is just something about the horn's bronze body/bell/neck that conrtasts smartly with the brass keywork that gives it a bit of elegance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts