Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Great stuff, Saxhound. For bari though, I think it's more common that they're doubling the 2nd alto an octave down, 'drop 2', with some note differences here and there. That's my choice, personally, I rarely or never double the lead.
Thats not what drop 2 means. If bari is playing drop 2 voicing, 2nd alto will play a different note. There is no doubling of notes. It's just that the 2nd voice drops an octave and ends up in the bari part.

Med Flory of Supersax fame wrote nearly all his solis with the bari doubling lead alto. Just a different approach you might see on occasion.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That presumes 5 different saxophone notes on any given beat. It's not something I do very often unless it's a long note. If it's a soli or moving line, I tend to use 4 note voicings and drop 2 without removing it from the upper voice. It's a pretty common thing to do, especially if you want to avoid doubling the lead. It's different from drop 2 for piano or guitar, because they'd not be playing 5 moving lines at once, usually -- they'd drop 2 in a voicing without doubling it. They'd probably drop 2 and 4, or voice (bottom up) 1-7-3-5 or something like that.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
That presumes 5 different saxophone notes on any given beat. It's not something I do very often unless it's a long note. If it's a soli or moving line, I tend to use 4 note voicings and drop 2 without removing it from the upper voice. It's a pretty common thing to do, especially if you want to avoid doubling the lead. It's different from drop 2 for piano or guitar, because they'd not be playing 5 moving lines at once, usually -- they'd drop 2 in a voicing without doubling it. They'd probably drop 2 and 4, or voice (bottom up) 1-7-3-5 or something like that.
I would never do that as it puts extra emphasis on one random note and ruins the blend.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Here’s an update for anyone foolish enough to retain interest in this thread . . . . Last night the band had what was my first ever performance in a jazz band. This would have happened in June, but they moved the end of term performance date a week later due to scheduling conflict, and I was out of the country then and couldn’t make the show.

We had six practice sessions over the summer before last night’s show. I think with maybe another six weeks or so, I might really have gotten those tunes down pretty well. :bluewink::mrgreen:

Seriously, I was pretty happy with my playing, only having to ghost on a few parts of the harder songs. No major screw ups on my part (though certainly at least a few minor ones).

We were missing our bari player, but my teacher volunteered and sat in with us for the night.

The song list was as follows:

Blues Brothers Revue
Pick Up The Pieces
Here's That Rainy Day
Count Bubba
Vehicle
Cut The Cake
Hey Pachuco
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

Next time around I think I will try a solo or two . . . . (So long as I can still fit into my hat).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,723 Posts
Here's an update for anyone foolish enough to retain interest in this thread . . . . Last night the band had what was my first ever performance in a jazz band. This would have happened in June, but they moved the end of term performance date a week later due to scheduling conflict, and I was out of the country then and couldn't make the show.

We had six practice sessions over the summer before last night's show. I think with maybe another six weeks or so, I might really have gotten those tunes down pretty well. :bluewink::mrgreen:

Seriously, I was pretty happy with my playing, only having to ghost on a few parts of the harder songs. No major screw ups on my part (though certainly at least a few minor ones).
Thanks for sharing an update.

Are you able to practice the charts between rehearsals? That can make a huge difference.

Applause and respect for getting out there and committing to playing in a big band! Live music is where it's at.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Thanks Doc.

When you ask about practicing the charts between rehearsals, I’m not exactly sure what you mean. I have my music, of course, for my second tenor part, and if I couldn’t practice that between rehearsals I’d never have gotten my part down in the slightest. I need to practice, a lot, first at my pace and eventually getting up to tempo once I got the part down. I would practice both on my own and as well playing with YouTube videos of the same arrangement.

Part of the learning process for me on this has been learning how to learn (new stuff), if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I took about 20 years off from playing in a jazz band. I'm starting up at the end of this month back at the local community college in their jazz band. Hopefully I won't suck, and it'll help me playing again.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
For the masochists among you, here is a recording of the band performance. Actually, I think we sounded pretty good, all things considered.
Sax section sounds good. I heard all the parts, so you're obviously pulling your weight. Keep doing what you're doing.

My band has played Count Bubba too. It's a challenging chart.

As far as learning new parts, what works for me is learn in very small chunks. A really fast, tricky sax soli, especially a harmony part like Tenor 2 is chock full of strange intervals and lines. So I'll work 4 notes at a time up to tempo, then add 2 more notes, work that whole phrase up to tempo, add a couple more notes and so on. The key is repetition and doing it in small chunks, especially with old brains like ours ;-)

Finally, always listen to your lead alto for blend, style, phrasing, articulation, accents etc. But sounds like you guys blend pretty well, so you're on the right track.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts