Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Sam ash to check some P. Mauriats this week, and specifically I was looking for a Tenor 66 but they didn't have any.

The salesperson, offer me to try the Cannonballs, The Brute and the Gerald Albright.

I tried them both and wow, what incredible sound!, I was very surprised about these two, I really liked both of them. The Brute been more focused and centered and the Gerald been brighter, very, very nice sound.

Have you tried any Cannonballs lately?

Best,

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I played a couple of Cannonball tenors a few weeks ago. I played a Gerald Albright with both necks and a VR Brute with, I guess, the standard neck. The GA was a good horn but that VR was special. I played 2 VI's and an Eastman 52nd Street that day. I loved the Cannonball. I had played a Cannonball Big Bell and an Arc soprano a while back and I didn't care for either of those particular horns but in fairness, I would not make a judgment on that experience and those samples in the very short time that I spent with them. The VR has that great core sound that I like and the action felt really good under my fingers. I own a great horn - a Viking M60 and the Cannonball felt "at home" to me.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I think the Gerald Albright is just a stone series with some fancy finish and special engraving. I like both models. I can see why the VR would feel more like home to someone playing a Viking. I've had stone series tenors and own a Viking myself. Bottom line is the VR is more of the Mkvi like vibe and the stone series is a modern brighter horn. The 52nd street is much like a stone series IMO.
I also own a Pmauriat 66r (Cadeson stencil) and other Taiwan tenors. I personally think the 66r is among the best Taiwan tenors. I like the Eastman 640 a lot as well. I prefer both to the stone series. The other Taiwan horn that I like are the latest La Sax biglip(model 308).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I owned a Cannonball stone series tenor for a short time (believe it was the Raven finish - whichever the all black one is, because yes I was just that extra) and though I spent less than a year with it I can definitely say they're great horns - quality build, very consistent, good tone, the works. If you're curious about the necks, one is a standard neck like you'd see on most tenors, while the other is an underslung silver neck which (I believe) is meant for brighter and louder settings like jazz and fusion. From my experience, the underslung neck seemed to affect my tone as advertised. However, I eventually decided to sell it because I was becoming less fond of the bright tone. If that's the kind of thing you're looking for (10 months after posting of course) then I would say go for it. Also do keep in mind that the finish might actually affect the tone of the sax in a small way, as crazy as that sounds.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
When you own those vintage Selmers I’ve seen you put up for sale, you don’t need to be messing around with Cannonballs. Hang on to them Selmers!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I played a Cannonball Big Bell tenor for about a week. Returned it for a Cannonball Vintage Reborn.

The VR has a more centered and rounder sound.

Very happy with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,921 Posts
When you own those vintage Selmers I’ve seen you put up for sale, you don’t need to be messing around with Cannonballs. Hang on to them Selmers!!
Please use “Reply with quote” so we know who you are addressing.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I owned a Cannonball 1998, the first "professional" model they imported, for almost 20 years and it was always my favorite. Friends who played it loved it, too. Don't discount the earlier models in standard finishes without the rocks glued onto them.

I had a VR for a month or two last year. It played very well and ended up in the hands of one of our European members. I simply could not stand the finish, which I see as a poor attempt to make a new horn look old.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had several cannonballs...alto and tenor...and really liked them a lot. The best thing about them is the great deal you can get on them used!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Why? Today in this day and age there are so many better horns out there at more reasonable costs. I say, if you have a vintage Selmer, sell it at that inflated cost and go buy a couple of modern horns with the money. Here's a good review of Selmer's for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puApTzibuHM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts