Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play with a 6-piece band that has been playing some corporate and wedding gigs but we are trying to get more work - weddings especially - and an agent has told the band leader that we need more 'current' material. We are mostly jazzers but have lots of the 50's - '80's kinds of pop/rock material but I don't actually listen to commercial radio these days so I have very little idea about what a 'current' repertoire would be.

So, I have a couple of questions for the guys that do this kind of booking...

Firstly, what artists should we be listening to? What do wedding gigs like to hear these days if it's mostly youngish people? Maybe some tune titles? While I don't want to get into rap-ish or hip-hop areas since I really don't think we can handle that, there must be lots of material that 'young' weddings want to hear.

Secondly, it's looking like I will need to get out my dusty WX and sound module in order to do some modern sounds. Are any of you sax guys doing this? Is there a direction with this that you can point me for modern band sounds?

And finally, we don't have a female singer with the band. I kind of think that we should add one. Any thoughts on that!!

Thanks for any input on this.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I have no input regarding your question, but I just want to compliment you on writing an original post that gives all of the information pertinent to your getting the best, immediate feedback. So often such a thread would begin with no more information than what you gave in the thread's topic, then what follows is information unintentionally not relevant, and a game of "stump the dummy" trying to pin down exactly what the OP is looking for. Props, my man!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
I play in a band whereby the wedding couple were given a menu of songs to choose from.
they can request up to a certain number of songs (up to 3) they will like to be played.
this is one of my ways to stay modern with the market demand.
for the wedding gigs, 90% is done with a lady singer, so, that is a consideration for you.
all the best bro!

·
Registered
249 Posts
My wedding band in the UK is looking to add some current stuff at the moment. We a working on adapting a couple of Rihanna tunes, Bruno Marrs - 'Just the way you are' is a lovely tune and current. Of the slightly less recent ones which work well with "traditional" instrumentation: American Boy by Estelle and Frontin' - the Jamie Cullum version and Kylie's "Can't get you out of my head" go down well. As you can see, a girls singer might be a great help. PM if you want a full list of our repertoire. (If that would be any help)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, that's a start. Gary - thanks. I am used to being specific from my 'working' days and you are right about so many other posts.

We have Santana's 'Smooth' in our current rep and that certainly works well. Our leader did ask the agent for specifics and a lot of what came back was the kind of stuff we really don't want to get into - eg. rap/hip hop. We generally will present our rep list to clients and they can pick from that. Some agent suggestions were getting into areas where I will need to use my EWI and help the keys produce some synthy kinds of sounds.

Thanks, keep the tune suggestions coming if you have any specifics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts