Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm an Alto player. That's all I've really played until about December when me and my friends made a Saxophone Quartet, which I am on Tenor. But now Solo & Ensemble is coming around and I thought I would do something different. I was going to do a Bari Sax duet with my friend who plays Bari in our Quartet. But when I played one of the Baris, my high range was just squeaking noises. From the High E in the staff and up, all it was was a constant nuisance. So is there anything you guys might know that might help my tedious problem?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
Is the bari in good repair? How's the mouthpiece? Try some different reeds?

Ok, assuming your equipment is in shape -- loosen up. Bari requires an extremely loose embouchure. Try again, RELAX your face, no biting at all, even for high notes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My school actually has four different Bari Saxes. A newer Selmer, BS500 I believe, a Conn Naked Lady, which has a missing neck Lol, and two Buschers. My friend can get the Selmer and the Buschers to play so it might just be me. The times I have played Bari I have used La Voz Medium and some mouthpiece that has no markings/brand on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
790 Posts
Bari mouthpieces are expensive, so I would suggest trying the different pieces that are with the different horns. Also, like suggested above, try different reeds. You may need to do some long-tone work as well.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo:
Rhythm Changes Lesson:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did play one a Gonzales 2 3/4 reed. Yea... That didn't work well haha. He also had a 2 1/2 plastic reed I didn't care for. When we do have quartet practice however, sometimes I'll take a crack at the bari. And usually when I do, after playing tenor, I can play the horn more effectively. (This is with the La Voz and unbranded mouthpiece.) There is a Rico mouthpiece that is with one of the Buschers. I don't care for it haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.