Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks all for suggesting me C* as a mpc for my YSS-475II.

I have played it for a short period and it works greats!.
I cannot say it is the best, but it can fullfill my requirements.

By the way, I have tried Hemke #2 reed, it works ok, but sound too thin.
I also tried Vandoren Tradition 3 and 3.5, Vandoren Jazz 3.5.
But they are too "hard" for me.

Any suggestion on reed for C* ? :?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,190 Posts
Hemke's should work but you'll need 3 or 3 1/2 for a C*. I find the Hemke reeds softer by number than other reeds so a 2 would be nothing but BUZZY.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Hemkes are great, but I tend to find them too soft, and they don't last as long as they should. Try Vandorens, if you do not like the Hemkes.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
A Greene said:
Hemke's should work but you'll need 3 or 3 1/2 for a C*. I find the Hemke reeds softer by number than other reeds so a 2 would be nothing but BUZZY.
Yup. Exactly correct. Hemke reeds don't last as long as Vandoren, but I have found them more consistent and easier to get good ones out of the box.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,304 Posts
You may want to try a Fibracell (1 1/2 or 2 - SOFT or MED SOFT, mainly because I think Fibracells run a lot stronger than cane-reed equivalents). DAVE

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I think a Vand. trad 3.5 is about right for this mpc. If it seems too hard, start from about a 2.5 and gradually work up. As others said, Hemkes run a bit softer, but blow a little easier and fuller. So you might also start from a Hemke 2.5 to 3 and work up to something harder.

Have someone else try your mouthpiece to make sure the facing is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all suggestions :D

I think I really need to do training step by step.

MM:
No person helps me test the mpc :cry:

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Yeah, C*s tend to have very inconsistant facings. Part of this is because Selmer produces so many of them. Try to find someone else who has one and try their's; you'll normally find a pretty big difference between them. (This is one of the many reasons why a lot of people don't like them...)

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have not tried these, you must.

There is a small special species of cane in France. Brancher Reeds are made only from this cane. I prefer the JAZZ for my alto and tenor. They are extremely responsive from warm butter clean out to Belt it out Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty). I have tried I think everything out there and have been playing 40 years, and these are the best I have ever found. Though you will get many opinions (respectfully said), mouth 'play time' and mouthpiece will contribute as much if not more than just the reed. Once you have mastered the embouchure, and found the ever elusive search for "The best mouthpiece", the reed, though important can add that last hoped for sound, or ruin it. On mouthpieces, don't know your style or capabilities, but I think most would agree with me, I have many. Metal to Rubber, bore, chamber, etc. all give a particular intonation and that is all a matter of preference and if your playing with a pit with 40 others, or a 6-8 man show where you are the feature! Try a box of the Branchers, they are computer designed, but hand selected and hand cut. Regards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
SAXTOGETHER, forgot. My Selmer Reference ALTO can scream with the factory super session. But my Reference Tenor factory mouthpiece was a disaster. I don't know what got lost (facing, bore, chamber length/shape etc. But I like most out there had to go on the ever elusive search. I did get a Yanagisawa metal (silver) that allows a very broad range from soft mellow fill in to make it scream) and I had Dave Kessler(Las Vegas) make me a few customs. Sorry, this is just the mad search that comes with the game. Not that I am pushing Kessler, but I must say their customer service is the best. If he sends you a mouthpiece after talking with him and determining what your looking for, and you don't like it, he will take it back 100% and send you the next suggestion and continue to do so until you find what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/mps/kscustommps.htm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks to all. I have replaced the ligature to BG leather 24k gold.
It makes most reed sound better!
By the way, I will try more and more reed and seek one as my favorite :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts