Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. I know a lot of people talk about different types of music they play, which I love (I started by playing Jazz and still love it) but nobody seems to mention Ska music! I'm hoping to get some ideas on what kind of horns people are playing ska on.

Long Sad Story short I had a Cannonball Knight II with an SR Technologies Legend mouthpiece that I loved stolen from my car last year :(

I didn't have a lot of cash handy so I rented a generic Jupiter, not what I wanted but it worked for local ska shows. I actually spoke briefly with the Tenor player from Less Than Jake and he recommended a Dukoff D7. I bought one and I loved it; as much as I loved the SR Tech mouthpiece I found it to be better suited for jazz and the dukoff much better for ska (which isn't that outrageous considering the baffles). Sadly, due to my stupidity that mouthpiece also bit the dust (I'm an idiot and left my sax on it's stand while I was composing something and my curious cat knocked it over; the mouthpiece landed on the tile in the kitchen - it's been one of those years).

Anyway I would LOVE some horn and mouthpiece recomendations that would have a good bright baffle for ska music and not kill me in the pocket book - I'm a poor state of California worker.

Sorry for the long winded message! Thanks in advance!

-Hernan

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I also really love ska, although I don't play as much of it as I'd like. I play a Yamaha 82Z and SR Tech Legend that I also really love. If you like the SR tech but want something brighter, try the SR Tech Pro, or if you want something brighter still try the SR Tech Fusion. They are all really well-made pieces and if I liked the high-baffle sound I'd probably get one of those.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, I do most of my Tenor playing in Jazz, but Ska has always been a love of mine. Right now, my setup is a Conn 10M with a Berg Larsen.. I used to play on a Otto Link, but it got stolen... I actually think the Berg will suit my Ska playing better in the long run.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You might want to check out the Rico Metalite pieces. They can be had for around $30.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
+1 metalite for rubber

...dont get any better than that or a berg with a silversonic

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Ps wth is with people stealing sax equipment! Grrrr!! I mean we know how expensive saxes are but I didn't know thieves did. I guess I'm assuming other musicians are thieves...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,632 Posts
Yep, I'm in a ska/punk band based in Florida. Currently playing on a Barone Jazz piece, which doesn't cut at all, but that's what the sound guy is for. If you're looking for something cheap that is bright/will cut the Metallite is a good suggestion... I would also try a rubber Lakey. You can also keep your eyes open here on the forum for something used. What is your budget?

Also, do you want bright because you like bright or is it because you assume ska = bright? I personally know some national ska sax players using Links and they sound great live (again, sound guy can do wonders).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,632 Posts
Also I forgot, look into Vandoren Jumbo Java as well... you can pick them up used here for less than $100 easily and they're SUPER bright...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,168 Posts
I was in a SKA Band back in 1990.. Here's a link to a thread with a recording.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?147236-Ska-Alert-My-Early-Days

At the time was was playing a Handmade Guardala Crescent (Paid $250 to Dave himself back in those days) with Medium Hard LaVoz Reeds. I'm also playing a 5 Digit VI that I got for $1,200...Awe the 90's - before E-bay horns were out there and they didn't cost $10,000.:bluewink:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
good stuff A greene....space shark doesnt sound like ska,but a cross between tower of power,chili peppers,mother's finest...not dated at all!! very good!!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I've been involved in ska (traditional)and reggae among other things. In terms of equipment, whatever sound you LIKE is what works. I can do fine with a vintage Link that is not event the loudest of mouthpieces. My suggestion is to get Sennheizer MD421 Mic and use that to help you get over, rather than looking for some kind of shrill but loud mouthpiece. FInd a mouthpiece that makes you sound GOOD, not based on volume.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,089 Posts
I love ska and reggae, but I never get to play it. I started a ska jazz thread a little while ago. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?140186

I'm another vote for Metalite mouthpieces. Also consider a Runyon, with or without a spoiler. It's twice as expensive as a Metalite, but still only $70 or so. And you can get them in red, a great ska color. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
MB ii (laser trimmed)
RPC 115b
They both worked well for me over the last 7 years in a ska/two tone band.
The ska was more the 80's revival as well so I chose them for the extra 'cut' needed.
I think the RPC had the upper hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts