Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to Teton Valley Idaho, and I'm looking for a good saxophone doctor. I am not in need immediately (I know I'm blowing through a few leaks on my alto, but I'm a 90% tenor guy), but I would like to know who is out there. I can easily get to the Idaho Falls, Pocatello, and Rexburg areas, as well as Jackson, WY. I'd like to avoid the 5-hour drive to Boise if possible. Thank you.

btw, I have searched the dealer/ tech directory...fruitless.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I found a guy who is about 3 hours away...guess that's not too bad considering how rural it is here. That said, I bought a torch, some feeler gauges, and a couple tools and went to it myself last night. I would not have tried anything requiring mechanical adjustments, though I have done some cool stuff under the direct supervision of my old tech. I've also read the Howard guide for further insight.

One of the things I watched and practiced a lot of was re-seating and replacing pads, so I felt comfortable dropping my leak-light down my alto and tenor to check things out.

Tenor: last serviced 7/12 and playing very well; one small leak on low E, and low B was hitting ever-so-slightly back first...Of course I always should practice more, but this tenor saw a lot of action the past 14 months; including two semesters of lessons, school ensembles, my own bands/ gigs/ rehearsals, and 4 weeks on the road this summer.

Alto: last serviced 3/12 I rarely play, but I knew it felt a little off after it got bumped off a stand about a month ago; nothing major, 1-2 upper, low E, D, Bb needed a little attention.

Results: Went through them again about 2 hours ago and took out a small leak that had crept back in on the alto low D. Tenor is even better than before, and the alto is back to normal. They both have that "just left the tech" snappiness to them, as I also lubed and cleaned.

I'm pretty psyched that I could spend <$35 and save driving a 6-hour round trip this time. I'm still on the lookout for someone closer though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts