Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One in CL this morning, asking $250. Haven't seen it yet. Guy says he's had it worked on recently. 132xxx looks to be silver plated. Low pitch.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it. Guy brought it over, turned out it was in really nice shape. Sounded fat and great with my Lakey 6*3. Pretty good intonation. There is a vintage pc that didn't play very well, really closed, but might be original and another Conn pc, looked newer, that I didn't like much. Horn is cosmetically really nice, looked Looked like it'd been in storage for a large part of its life.

He had it serviced in 07 and spent more on that then I gave him for the horn. It still needs a little work - low Bb is not sealing exactly right, probably some leaks somewhere, needs a cork piece in at least one place that I could see. The key work was really in good shape, not loose anywhere. 13 pads had been replaced on the invoice he showed me. There was some question about the neck being original or not and the folks who worked on it gave him another. I tend to think that the neck he had is actually the original because its in the same condition as the rest of the horn and has a ring near the cork I believe for tuning. Remind me not to deal with the shop he went to if that neck is indeed the original. I'll take it in to my tech who specialized in vintage horns and let him have a look. I'll try and get some pix up for you folks soon and I'm sure you'll be able to give me your usual sage advice, especially as to weather or not the neck is the original.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
I had one of these until recently. Fantastic saxophones and that is a great price.
I played a small chamber Meyer or Runyon custom on mine.
Yes, post some pics of the neck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The old mpc has something like: "JOS A. LUSIER - SEATTLE WASH" on it. Looks really old.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had one of these until recently. Fantastic saxophones and that is a great price.
Actually, I talked him down to $200 cash. Figured I'd be spending some getting my tech to work it over.

·
1,127 Posts
Nice looking sax. It's actually nickel plated (which is why it is tarnish free and looks practically new!).

The neck sure looks original to me, and yes, that is a microtuner on it. Overall, it looks like you got a pretty good deal.

Congrats on the new horn! :thumbrig:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Its actually a "New Wonder," via the condensed low C, and Eb mechanism, and also the straight high F palm key (not bending around palm Eb and above another post). It looks great! Nice find and enjoy the horn

·
3,003 Posts
Thats definitely the original neck.
Push the mouthpiece on all the way and use the microtuner, it helps the bottom end.
Also, try putting a champagne cork into the bow, it helped the bottom end a lot on mine with a smaller chamber mouthpiece.
If the microtuner doesn't work, get it serviced. Stephen Howards article about this is excellent and you can DIY.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats definitely the original neck.
Push the mouthpiece on all the way and use the microtuner, it helps the bottom end.
Also, try putting a champagne cork into the bow, it helped the bottom end a lot on mine with a smaller chamber mouthpiece.
If the microtuner doesn't work, get it serviced. Stephen Howards article about this is excellent and you can DIY.
Thanks, I was thinking the same while the seller was telling me the story of how he got the other neck from the people who serviced it, them saying it was the wrong neck. The other neck is pretty crappy, too. It sounds 10X better with the nickel neck. The horn plays pretty well in tune, just a couple cents flatter in the lower register. At least with me playing it, not having played much alto for a couple months, and being used to a YAS-62 with a Lackey. I'll experiment with the micro tuner and champagne cork. Darn, now I have to go buy a bottle...

Benny, by helping the bottom end are you talking tone or intonation? Of course this will set off a whole new round of mouthpiece searching. Sigh...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
The other neck is pretty crappy, too.
Who knows. It may be something someone is looking for... and you might get a bit of your money back. Post a pic of the alternate neck.

·
3,003 Posts
Benny, by helping the bottom end are you talking tone or intonation? Of course this will set off a whole new round of mouthpiece searching. Sigh...
Both, plus response.

I've never played a Lakey on a Conn, but I had one years ago on a selmer and it was a paint peeler- horrible.
I've had a lot of success with the runyons on Conn's- Customs, Model 22, Jazz, they were all fine . For the $$ a Custom from saxplus.com is a bargain. The model 22 are dirt cheap and play really well.
Selmers and Meyers are fine too, but more expensive. For me the Runyon's match these horns perfectly and it won't cost you a lot to get one to try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts