Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean I can't even get close on the old Bundy II Alto I have
and I'm just not use to the low palm keys on the alto.
I'm so used to the Conn C Mel that it just feels comfortable that way
What does it take to get that kinda of sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
I don't know if it is possible to sound like someone else on a completely different instrument..........

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
mine was an attempt to exert a certain understatement

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,504 Posts
Someone here last year posted what I think is the best saying about this subject. "The longer I play, the more I sound like myself."

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
On the old Bundy II? This is a prank, right?
nope - no prank. A good player will sound almost as good on an old student horn as a MKVI or similar. A better instrument will give you some edge but not nearly as much as you might think. If you can play - you can play, and the caliber of your instrument is secondary.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree with Fader. It's not the horn.

Talk to some pros and take a few lessons from a player you like. They'll tell you about mouthpieces, reeds, and tone production. The information is useful, but most of all you will practice (and practice and practice) and experiment and you'll find your sound. Really. Keep at it.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I've never heard a c mel that I thought sounded like an alto or tenor with that bright, edgy quality that Candy Dulfer exhibits. I'm not sure that it's possible.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I mean I can't even get close on the old Bundy II Alto I have
and I'm just not use to the low palm keys on the alto.
I'm so used to the Conn C Mel that it just feels comfortable that way
What does it take to get that kinda of sound?
If you don't sound like her on alto, you're not going to sound like her on a C-mel either. If you have a Conn C-mel, you can try using her alto setup and it should fit (don't personally know what it is), but you still won't sound exactly like her without many years of practice and a bit of surgery to exactly mimic her mouth and throat -- not to mention the horn is larger and has a bigger bore.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
It would, in my view, be far easier to sound like Ben Webster or Sonny Rollins on either a Buescher or Martin C tenor than to sound like Candy Dulfer, even using the sweeter Conn.
Were this my aim then I would persist....on alto.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This would be possible if Candy played your C melody... Sometimes the obvious is oblivious....

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
You'd better emulate her with a C cup than a C melody...
At least surgery and hormone therapy can make a difference here. Less work. :whistle:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
...Any possible way of sound like Candy Dulfer on the C Mel ?
tryonsax, as we say in the UK, " behave .." [rolleyes]

Even my optimism for C-Mels doesn't quite stretch that far :cry:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts