Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Although the new Guardala alto mouthpieces are mentioned on a few threads, as yet there don't seem to be any user reviews. Before I make a long round-trip to try one, I would be grateful to hear the opinions of anyone who has tried them, particularly the New Crescent model.

I play a Yani A991 and currently I use a Yani 7 metal mouthpiece. Very free blowing, but so bland.

I am particularly interested in the Guardala as it is the best mouthpiece (for me) that I have used on my Yani tenor.........and I appear to be suffering from a serious case of what I believe you refer to as GAS.

Thanks in anticipation.

Nick.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd really like to know about these, too. I see there's two models of the new alto pieces to choose from. Pretty expensive, but are they worth it? Anyone spent the cash on these yet?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Sax.co.uk and spoke to Scott. He has tested the Guardala New Crescent alto and he is very impressed. I don't recall his exact words, but he found the Guardala even more free blowing than the Yanigasawa and although bright, it had warmth and character.

Thanks for the Beechler tip guys, but it doesn't look like i'll have the time to make the journey to try different pieces anytime soon. My Studio tenor piece is amazing, so I think i'll put my trust in Guardala (the fanchised name, not the man !) and mail order the alto New Crescent. Besides, i'm sure it's far more shiny than a Beechler. I'll report back whether or not i've wasted a pile of cash :shock: . (I consider myself a mere novice player and would never presume to post a 'review'. However, I can appreciate a good sound due to many years of listening to the sax prior to taking-up playing, so I will say how it sounds to my ear).

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Far more shiny? What are you trying to do, blind the audience like Joe Jazz and all his silver plated horns??? :( jk

Hope it works for you though :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.........well, i've been playing the alto New Crescent for about four weeks and I am pleased to report that I did not waste my money. On my Yani A991 the tone is warm and dark, full of feeling and exactly what I was looking for. It's a very free blowing piece. Top register is effortless, but down the bottom I really have to open my throat to create the notes below Eb, although as one would expect it becomes easier with practice.

I tried many different mouthpieces to achieve the sound I wanted, but this is the only one I have been satisfied with. It would have been good to try some more exotic pieces, such as Mr. Barone's creations, but I am confident that I have found a superb 'off the shelf ' mouthpiece and I recommend giving one a try if you're looking for a warm dark sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts