Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. You got it. The guy with all the answers on what will/will not fit JKs begs for suggestions. Whatchagonnado, eh? [rolleyes]

I am assuming that the relatively new ProTec XL case will fit, but,
- the bells on JKs are a little more distant from the sax body than other saxes, so it's not just a matter of a larger bells.
- I don't really like ProTecs because of the squared off edges to them vs more rounded contours found on some other cases.

Anyone have any luck with any other contoured cases? Maybe there's something new on the market I'm not aware of, or old that I have forgotten about? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Gary your sax will fit into a Berkeley case. but they dont offer much internal protection IMHO.

Have you tried a Jakob Winter case? They actually make the kielworth cases.

http://www.jakob-winter.com

You could try emailing [email protected] the guys there are very helpful - they sell kielworth saxes as well as a large range of cases so they will be able to test if the sax fits in any of their cases in stock.

Godd luck

Griff

·
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Griff. Actually, I love Berkeley cases. But I don't believe the regular case fits JKs, since they made JK-only cases, unless that was a tenor-=only thing. I'll check with the folks at saxco. Maybe they can put their hands on a unsed Berkeley in good condition. Man, I wish Don Mackrill hadn't quit making them. The Winter fibreglass cases look similar. Maybe I'll check them out if they're not too expensive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Berkeleys are very nice because they are small but the fit is very loose and the catches of a very low quality , you might have the interior made to size to your horn but I doubt that that would be cheap. I like Protecs but if you don't you don't. I don't find them " squarish" SKB are also small and cheap and a bit of a loose fit anyway. Jacob Winter are nice cases but their plastic is not as hard wearing as other brands, besides the inside fits some horns and doesn't others.

You could try GL they make a very small case (I have two) but I don't know if they fit a Keilwerth.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gl_cases_gle_formcase_altsax.htm

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
I have a leather Protec XL Deluxe. I'm pretty sure that the Keilwerth fits. (They say so on their site anyway). If it fits my Leblanc, the Keilwerth should be no problem. I don't use it because I find it a bit too cumbersome, but it's a great case. Lots of extra space for a flute, reeds etc etc. It's basically a hard case (wood?) with padded leather around it. I don't see them anymore on the Protec site, perhaps they stopped making them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What about Gator GC cases (the hard ones)? specifically on tenor. Do they hold keilwerth's?
So this information is actually NOWHERE on the internet. I've looked everywhere to find out with the hard Gator GC case fits keilwerth horns.

I did myself a favour and bought one for $120AU (new). The case fits perfectly. For anyone who is looking out there for a new case, I would reccomend this

·
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, kurtmiko. I had a Gator for my JK tenor and it was a perfect fit. Like you, I couldn't find any info. Ironically, I learned of it when someone said that the Cannonball cases would fit my tenor and they recommended a source. The source said that they had discontinued selling the Cannonball cases but recommended the Gator. When the Gator came and I picked up the shipping box, the case was so light, I thought the box was empty and I had gotten ripped off. I'll keep the alto Gator in mind, thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I'm on the same hunt, w/my H. Couf Superba II Tenor. The stock case is way too large and cumbersome, and I often need to carry both Alto and Tenor at the same time (making too gig cases almost a mandatory item).

·
Registered
266 Posts
My Couf tenor came in a Gator, which fits well. I have also heard the the Protec XL will fit, but I have no personal experience with that.

·
6,831 Posts
I have a standard ProTec contoured case, that I've had for years, but it's too small for the Couf. Protec XL. Makes sense, XL, for Extra Large? maybe? .

·
Registered
720 Posts
The J.Winter case works well, I had one with my SX90R and another local player uses one for his as well. Great fit, however it will hold only the Sax, Neck & (1) mouthpiece. If you want to bring anhthing else in needs to go into the bell.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry Gary, after posting I realised you are looking for Alto info. All of my post refered to a Tenor.

·
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's the thought that counts! :bluewink:

·
6,831 Posts
Sorry Gary, after posting I realised you are looking for Alto info. All of my post refered to a Tenor.
Eh, my fault. I kinda hijacked the thread :) .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been a minute since I've been here. Gary- I finally just bought Walt Johnsons for my alto and tenor. They really seem to be pretty nice cases. There's my .02. Good luck!

·
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Kris, it's good to hear from you. WJ used to make two sized cases for tenor and alto, "normal" sized (doesn't fit JK) and, "fits JK". Are the newer cases one size fits all, or were the ones you bought made specifically for JKs?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts