Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in NYC for a few days the last week of May and am aiming to take in some jazz acts with sax. I'm looking at the calendars for Smalls, Mezzrow, Iridium and other venues, but would love to hear if you know of any upcoming show that's especially compelling, or an intimate club that may be off the radar.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
You know, if you're looking for off the radar performances, maybe even free, check out the concert schedules for the New School, Manhattan School of Music and Juilliard. Just because they're students doesn't mean that they're not world class.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll be at Shrine in Harlem with my buddy’s band May 31!
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Dave, are you playing with the Don Palombi Project? Looks very cool, though I'll unfortunately have left NYC by the 31st.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,211 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Dave, are you playing with the Don Palombi Project? Looks very cool, though I'll unfortunately have left NYC by the 31st.
Yep that's us- that's a shame that you won't be there then! What days are you looking at? I have some other shows there this month.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Frank! I'm staying around the E. Village, but could definitely wander uptown. Dave, I'll be there roughly the 25th-30th.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Chris Potter will be at the Vanguard May 29 - June 3 with the Billy Hart Quartet - I'd definitely check that out if you can, Chris is an amazing player if you are not already familiar with him. I'm planning to go that weekend.

Eric Alexander is at Smoke most Tuesday nights with Mike LeDonne on B3 if he's in town. If Eric's not there, there's a good chance Vincent Herring will be filling in on alto. Mingus Big Band is at the Jazz Standard on Monday nights.
+1 - Vincent Herring plays at Smoke with his quartet on Monday nights, and Mike LeDonne's Groover Quarter (Eric Alexander on tenor usually) on Tuesdays. Besides the Mingus Big Band, the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra plays every Monday night as well.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Archie Shepp and Chris Potter would both be amazing to hear. NYC is just amazing. Thanks for the tips!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts