Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure like a lot of you out there, Im am marvelling at the amazing amount of video clips of great players on YouTube and other social networking sites. Ive seen everyone from Bechet to Brecker to Coltrane to Bird to ......etc etc..its mind boggling and so cool at the same time. Try as I might I cannot find footage of one of my faves...Hank Mobley. Has anybody ever seen any footage of "Middleweight Champion" as he was once called? Thanks TT

·
Registered
337 Posts
I too have searched for footage of Hank ,but nothing has turned up yet.
Maybe there is some footage of him with Horace Silver or Miles. Never heard of any european footage but he was around in Paris and in England.
I have a tape of him in Manchester in 1968.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Any news about this issue? I am still amazed that there seem not to be any available video footage of Hank Mobley. Given the level productivity he displayed, it is really strange if no video clips are available at all...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,873 Posts
Mobley was sort of like a saxophonists' saxophonist. He cut piles of records for Blue Note, but he was a sideman on many more. I'm guessing that he appeared live as a member of other player's groups more than he did under his own name. So you might do some research into bandleaders he played with at various times - like Art Blakey - and search for videos of those leaders and see if you can pick out Mobley as a sideman.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts