Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There doesn't seem to be much information (or indeed :love34: love) for KING straight Bb sopranos here on SOTW. Perhaps this thread can help remedy this oversight.

So far as I know there are two iterations...early horns (Series I) without high F and later horns (Series II) that have high F. Also, I have noticed that on Series I horns the upper of the paired low C# tone holes is larger than the corresponding tone hole on the Series II. My Series I actually has a soldered crescent in that upper C# tone hole chimney, presumably to improve the intonation.

Any other observations?...Anyone currently playing one?

Came across Soprano Planet's Joe Giardullo...solo here on what appears to be a Series II. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8VCE_putk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
xax - I've wanted to try one for years but still haven't gotten around to it yet . Someday soon, I think .

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I had one for a long time. I think highly of them. They are not all that valuable. Mine was a series II by your description. However I never was aware of that at the time I owned it. I found the ergos very comfortable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I own one--it's circa 1925. I love it. Goes up to high F. I recorded with it a while ago--it has a nice, clear tone and is relatively easy to keep in tune. So easy to play, it feels like I'm running on automatic transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts