Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Benny Golson is supposedly playing one but I can't find a link of it in a gig setting with video. I think the production numbers on these are substantially lower than the 54...not sure of anyone using as their regular horn.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Ive seen some video of Benny playing a 36 tenor. I鈥檓 not sure of anyonne else. Lotsnof folks seem to be olaying the 54 alto. The 54 tenor Matt finish had a very unique sound. Woulf be very imterested in playing the 54 lacquer tenor to compare with my demo of the 36 tenor which was very positivie. I found the 36 tenor to be expressive and husky sounding during my demo of it. I鈥檓 planning on getting one theough Quinn the eskimo as he has some grest preices on like new horns. Anybody else get one from there?

Registered
Good question, I don't know of any but would be interested to see them too. It's curious because (on these forums anyway) my impression is that The Ref 36 tenor is the most well regarded of the post-Mark VI tenors

Registered
Yeah Ive seen some video of Benny playing a 36 tenor. I鈥檓 not sure of anyonne else. Lotsnof folks seem to be olaying the 54 alto. The 54 tenor Matt finish had a very unique sound. Woulf be very imterested in playing the 54 lacquer tenor to compare with my demo of the 36 tenor which was very positivie. I found the 36 tenor to be expressive and husky sounding during my demo of it. I鈥檓 planning on getting one theough Quinn the eskimo as he has some grest preices on like new horns. Anybody else get one from there?
I know it is a little off topic but... what do you exactly mean with "quinn the eskimo as he has some grest preices"?

7k $ for a tenor serie ii or 8.5k for a serie iii even if they are like absolutly mint aint really what i would call a great deal but that's just my opinion ofc. Regarding brand new instruments they practice the normal prices (for the US market) on pro horns but they put some extra grands on mid horns like this one for example:

https://www.brassandwinds.com/colle...ies-tenor-saxophone-in-matte-finish-brand-new

Direct comparison:

https://elcoda.com/tenor-saxophone-buffet-crampon-buffet-crampon-bc8402-4-0.html

Anyway i think the US market is going nuts on brand new horns... And the EU one should follow in the next months i don't know...

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
1 - 9 of 9 Posts