Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I'm after some digital format jazz combo arrangements - just like the Hal Leonard Jazz Combo Pak series. Need them in a hurry for a gig early next week, and realised our current Jazz Combo Paks have missing bass and drum parts...

Anyone know of anything suitable? Happy to pay!

TIA

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I've sent you an email.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi mellow man need your advice. I've been learning from zero knowledge till now after 4.5 year mostly by learning from short lessons n from all sorts of books. Now I can manage to play Alto , Tenor and Soprano. But what bothers me is I can't go beyond this stage to improvise proper. One reason for that is my lacking of basic musical theories! Tell me if you would, how do you see I can overcome this hurdle ? Please. Kris my email is [email protected] gmail.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Improvisation can be a long road to travel down, especially if it doesn't come naturally, but the early Aebersold books are a good start.

First, get familiar with the blues, get creative with modal scales, and work on your turnarounds. Get under the skin of the Parker Omnibook and learn to recognise chords and chord patterns. You may find yourself assimilating the styles and solos of the jazz greats, but you'll eventually forge your own style.

Many of today's vanguard improvisers have impeccable technique, but what comes out shouldn't sound like showing off your scales technique, so work on ballads, where a beautiful melody or interesting musical line is the starting point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts