Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other threads about flying with cases but I thought I'd get really specific. I'm flying to Belgium in April so I purchased a Walt Johnson Tenor case for my VI tenor. Looks like we're flying United and Lufthansa Air?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I've flown domestically with SKB450 and JW Eastman Fiberglass cases with no trouble at all.

The closest to trouble was the hand inspection I got once, I was scared when they picked up the horn, fearing they'd drop it. I use a bell poich and I'm wondering if they didn't like seeing the pouch with the metal mouthpiece inside.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
I use a Berkeley case I’ve had for years mostly because it’s the smallest case I’ve found and it doesn’t have that metal rim.
My advice is upgrade to board early before the civilians fill the overheads. Maybe limp or something if you’re cheap and don’t want to pay the extra 20 bucks.
Don’t ask anybody about anything. Just walk on with it.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I use a Berkeley case I’ve had for years mostly because it’s the smallest case I’ve found and it doesn’t have that metal rim.
My advice is upgrade to board early before the civilians fill the overheads. Maybe limp or something if you’re cheap and don’t want to pay the extra 20 bucks.
Don’t ask anybody about anything. Just walk on with it.
I agree with Whaler, I'd pay to load early. You won't have trouble if you do that. If you load last, you will have trouble. I fly frequently and if you get the wrong person at the gate and board in group 9, then you will have a heck of a time.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Agreed about boarding early, don't ask/talk to agents while boarding, if they hassle you remind them that it will fit as you have flown hundreds of times with it (I have so you have), and it is ultimately up to the crew on board. I use a BAM Cabine now but have flown with the WJ hundreds of times, domestic, Europe, Vietnam, Japan, South Korea. I also flew on all of those trips and continue to carrying on a tenor and soprano, sop is in a WJ. Only potential issue is a smaller commuter jet which has very limited overhead space but has better under seat space. It also helps if there is an issue to let airline agents know the value of your instrument. I also will ask while boarding if there is room in the closet, if I see one or more (larger planes). Being nice and pleasant to the onboard crew goes a long ways.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have double-insurance: pay for priority boarding so I board earlier than the rest of the economy class people, then ask to stow my sax in the captain's closet (larger planes like 787s have them available). If they don't have the closet, then I can still get first dibs on an overhead luggage space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts