Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

For the past several years I have been working on producing an Improved Selmer Saxophone Serial Number list, using the original Selmer Paris arhive documents as my primary source. I recently completed this project and have begun taking a detailed look at the Selmer Paris Clarinet archives.

So, I would like to gauge if there is any interest in the idea of an improved Selmer Clarinet Serial Number list. The Selmer Paris archives go back farther than commonly known, with relatively complete Soprano records starting in late 1926 (at K4500), as well as separate archives for harmony and metal clarinets … so there is certainly an opportunity for new information to come to light.

This project would take me several thousand hours of work, so please let me know if you think there is enough interest to merit that amount of time investment.

Cheers,
Douglas Pipher

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Hello all,

For the past several years I have been working on producing an Improved Selmer Saxophone Serial Number list, using the original Selmer Paris arhive documents as my primary source. I recently completed this project and have begun taking a detailed look at the Selmer Paris Clarinet archives.

So, I would like to gauge if there is any interest in the idea of an improved Selmer Clarinet Serial Number list. The Selmer Paris archives go back farther than commonly known, with relatively complete Soprano records starting in late 1926 (at K4500), as well as separate archives for harmony and metal clarinets … so there is certainly an opportunity for new information to come to light.

This project would take me several thousand hours of work, so please let me know if you think there is enough interest to merit that amount of time investment.

Cheers,
Douglas Pipher
I would definitely be interested !

I have four old Selmer clarinets, and I believe SOTW-er "jgreiner" now has six(!!) so that's a start.

I think some other members here play them, IIRC.. Paul Lindemeyer, Ken, Mike T.. probably some others(?) .

Anyway, my oldest one has serial number of K47XX and I've wondered when that one was made.
My two BT models are L48XX and L43XX and my CT is P80XX .

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Douglas ! I just checked it again and it's K4774 to be exact .
Selmer Clarinet K4774 was sold to Selmer US and shipped in January 1927.
Sometime if you get a chance, I'd love to have some photos of that instrument. I am attempting to decode the data in the records.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Selmer Clarinet K4774 was sold to Selmer US and shipped in January 1927.
Sometime if you get a chance, I'd love to have some photos of that instrument. I am attempting to decode the data in the records.
I try to get some photos to you soon .

In the meantime: it is a 17/7 (17 keys 7 rings) model w/ no articulated G# . Maybe the data refers to that ?

_____

One of my BT clarinets is a full Boehm (20/7) Serial No. L4318

The other BT is an 18/7 with a Serial No. of L4882

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apologies for bothering, but can anyone walk a newbie thru how to post? I am not seeing a simple pull down. I would like to ask the forum a question related alto sax necks and the benefit of using a solid silver neck versus brass. I am the parent of a college performance major who is contemplating buying one. I’m just trying to understand the practical benefit at this stage. Also, I haven’t ever seen a performance where someone is playing on a gold lacquer sax with a silver neck. Does that distract?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Douglas......ABSOLUTELY!! Yes, I'm a self-avowed Selmer L series hoarder. I'd love to see what you've compiled regarding serial #'s as I've seen conflicting info for years of production. A couple of my RI's also have letters and numbers stamped into the undersides of the LH pinky keys (and some other keys). Any idea if those letters/numbers mean anything? Lastly, as with Selmer saxophones, I'd love to know what the numbers stamped to the upper joint (not where the serial #'s are) mean.
If you'd like a list of the serial #'s of the RI's and BT's I have, let me know and I'll gladly post.

John

·
Registered
929 Posts
While I already responded to you on facebook, I'd be very interested in seeing that!
My A's slightly too early for their archives, but what do they say on #L266? It's a 17/6 in Bb I have that I'm pretty sure is an RI-there's a banded crack on it right over where that would be marked.
I already asked Thierry Doublon when my bass was made, and have talked the previous owner of my main Bb, so that's only two I don't know much about. (the original owner of the Bb I asked about died in the 80s, and I bought it from one of his grandchildren on ebay. I know exactly nothing about my A other than it plays well, was apparently used very frequently based on the wear to it, and the seller on ebay was in Vermont.)

Out of curiosity, other than making a serial chart for them, what research would you be doing on them specifically?

(also before someone else sees they need help, etobin made a separate topic already, which is good.)

Also as I'm curious, here's 3 more serials, if you're willing to research them:
What's it say on L3682? I've been told that's Benny Goodman's Selmer he used in the late 30s.
What's it say on N8977? That's the low E bass my high school owned that I borrowed from them for most of my time there.
And finally, what's it say on T8888? I'm 95% sure that's the serial of the Eb Contrabass my high school had.
If I remembered the serial of their Eb, I would ask that too-I know it was a Y series. =p

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My plan would be to data-enter all the information into a searchable database, so in additional to developing a serial number chart, I would be able to learn and publish lots of information about model types, market info, production trends etc etc. (lots of fun stuff)

L266 - US Market, shipped in October 1931
L3682 - US Market, shipped in December 1935

I haven't organized the N or T series books yet, so you'll have to be patient with me for that information.

Cheers,
Douglas

While I already responded to you on facebook, I'd be very interested in seeing that!
My A's slightly too early for their archives, but what do they say on #L266? It's a 17/6 in Bb I have that I'm pretty sure is an RI-there's a banded crack on it right over where that would be marked.
I already asked Thierry Doublon when my bass was made, and have talked the previous owner of my main Bb, so that's only two I don't know much about. (the original owner of the Bb I asked about died in the 80s, and I bought it from one of his grandchildren on ebay. I know exactly nothing about my A other than it plays well, was apparently used very frequently based on the wear to it, and the seller on ebay was in Vermont.)

Out of curiosity, other than making a serial chart for them, what research would you be doing on them specifically?

(also before someone else sees they need help, etobin made a separate topic already, which is good.)

Also as I'm curious, here's 3 more serials, if you're willing to research them:
What's it say on L3682? I've been told that's Benny Goodman's Selmer he used in the late 30s.
What's it say on N8977? That's the low E bass my high school owned that I borrowed from them for most of my time there.
And finally, what's it say on T8888? I'm 95% sure that's the serial of the Eb Contrabass my high school had.
If I remembered the serial of their Eb, I would ask that too-I know it was a Y series. =p

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Apologies for bothering, but can anyone walk a newbie thru how to post? I am not seeing a simple pull down. I would like to ask the forum a question related alto sax necks and the benefit of using a solid silver neck versus brass. I am the parent of a college performance major who is contemplating buying one. I’m just trying to understand the practical benefit at this stage. Also, I haven’t ever seen a performance where someone is playing on a gold lacquer sax with a silver neck. Does that distract?
It seems you have posted a reply successfully, right here.
You have also successfully started a thread, "Silver Neck for Selmer Alto Sax", https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?349046-Silver-Neck-for-Selmer-Alto-Sax and received some answers. (Perhaps that thread would have drawn more attention if it was in the section, "Sax Body and Finish" under "Tech/Science Discussion".
In that section there are many previous threads on the effects of different metals and finish.
Basically the science says they have no effect. l However psychology says that if you believe in something you are likely to perceive it to to be true. (Placebo effect.)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Doug,

While I would not want to wish 'thousands of hours of work' upon you I would love to have access to a document that defines Selmer Clarinets in a similar way that you have done with Saxophones.

I own several older Selmer Clarinets including my Grandfather's K38XX that he played in the 1920's...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doug,

While I would not want to wish 'thousands of hours of work' upon you I would love to have access to a document that defines Selmer Clarinets in a similar way that you have done with Saxophones.

I own several older Selmer Clarinets including my Grandfather's K38XX that he played in the 1920's...
Thanks Tom. I think I will start with the pre-war clarinets and see if the response merits further work.
Sadly the records start just after your Grandfather's K38xx.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any specific dates of manufacture on my BT clarinet serials listed in post # 6 ?
L4318 - Shipped to New York in May 1936
L4882 - Shipped to New York in Oct 1936

I would love to get some photos of these instruments if you are willing to share. I am trying to match up the features on the instrument with the codes in the archives.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
L4318 - Shipped to New York in May 1936
L4882 - Shipped to New York in Oct 1936

I would love to get some photos of these instruments if you are willing to share. I am trying to match up the features on the instrument with the codes in the archives.
Douglas, what would you like to see in the photos? Full shots, serial #'s and anything else?

·
Registered
929 Posts
My plan would be to data-enter all the information into a searchable database, so in additional to developing a serial number chart, I would be able to learn and publish lots of information about model types, market info, production trends etc etc. (lots of fun stuff)

L266 - US Market, shipped in October 1931
L3682 - US Market, shipped in December 1935

I haven't organized the N or T series books yet, so you'll have to be patient with me for that information.

Cheers,
Douglas
Thank you! The one I own is a tad younger than I thought, then.
A searchable database would be wonderful, eventually!
I can wait a while on those, but out of curiosity, do any of the things you've seen say anything about the numbers near the upper joint ring that started in the late K Series? The L266 I own has 6123 under the rod for some of the rings, and I have a friend here at USM with a K Series A that's a bit younger than mine with the number there too-I'll ask her if the serial is above 4500!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Douglas, what would you like to see in the photos? Full shots, serial #'s and anything else?
When I am taking shots, I like to do an overall front, back left, right.
Then an upper and lower closeup of each side.
Then the serial number and selmer stamp plus any interesting or unusual features.
But ... anything you can offer would be a great help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Selmer 9* Bb/A set in a shared Selmer case:

A 19/7 Bb clarinet serial R8226

A 19/7 A clarinet with an unusual platform left thumb key (instead of ring) serial R7507 with a * above the serial on the upper joint.

The Bb keys appear plated while the A keys appear silver.

Curious what to make of these...thanks for your information. Glad to provide pics, etc. if it helps your research.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Interesting-those are the earliest Series 9s, I've seen! I've seen and held a FB centered tone that was S0126!
(or maybe 7 for the last digit)
Does your A also have a mechanism pretty similar to this, minus the slightly reshaped keys and added bis key? http://collections.nmmusd.org/Clarinets/Mazzeo/5832/Mazzeo5832.html
That's a Mazzeo system clarinet, and basically it's to help the intonation of throat Bb and A! There should be some kind of lever or something to enable/disable it on the clarinet somewhere!

Also Douglas, I can get serial info on that A in January, but it's a 17/6 Boehm she found without a bell or barrel. (and borrows those from my A when needed as I'm basically always on bass clarinet, judging by the past year and a half.)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts