Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything I can find is in German. All I can find is that they were manufactured in Taiwan around 2006.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
96 Posts
Expression is a brand for saxophones produced by Green Hill in Taiwan. They have a reputation as solid mid-range instruments in Germany. Resale value is low, of course. On the other hand, this means that you can get them used for a bargain. Green Hill updated the Expression "Series 2000" to the "Series IV" to implement some design improvements around the mid-2000s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,798 Posts
there was a thread on Expression not so long ago

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?352800-Expression-Saxophones-(Taiwan-via-Germany)

By the way Greenhill the distributor of these saxophones (and many other brands), is a trading company, not a manufacturer ( nothing wrong about that they are one of the best on the market)

Here in a list of Saxophone compsnies ( divided for Manufacturers and trading companies) they are indicated as “ wholesale company”

https://panjiva.com/Taiwanese-Manufacturers-Of/instrument+saxophone

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you all so very much. I have a Expression 2000 Pro to be delivered today and will report back soon

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the horn and apparently it was never played and is in brand new condition save for some polishing on the sterling plated silver keys and its original case is pristine. Closet horn for sure.

The horn is not black lacquered but rather black nickel lacquered and combined with the sterling keys makes it a very sharp looking horn.

For the short hour I played it I was impressed by the mechanical build and it felt very solid under my fingers. I only have high baffle mouthpieces at this time (Dukoff D7 and Vandoren A55 Jumbo) and the Dukoff played better than the A55 but neither seem to be
the right piece for the me on this alto.

However, with the Dukoff it has very good intonation, even scale, and altissimo G-C4 pop out easily.

I have a feeling a large chamber roll over baffle will help this horn reach its full potential better and plan on buying a few pieces to test my theory.

It is not stamped Made In Taiwan but this is absolutely not a mainland chinese horn because of the build quality and when comparing it to a Cannonball of the same time frame (2010) it is eerily similar.

I'll report back in a couple months after I gig the horn and find out exactly what it can do.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,882 Posts
I have a feeling a large chamber roll over baffle will help this horn reach its full potential better and plan on buying a few pieces to test my theory.

It is not stamped Made In Taiwan but this is absolutely not a mainland chinese horn because of the build quality
You cannot tell these days as mainland China bill quality (only some of them) can equal or even surpass other countries.

However your Expression is Taiwan. I don't thin k it is from the same factory as cannonball, but could possibly be a very (very) similar design. I've seen other Taiwan horns and you'd swear you were playing a cannonball, but for the logo

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ypiu cannot tell these days as mainland China bill quality (only some of them) can equal or even surpass other countries.

However your Expression is Taiwan. I don't thin k it is from the same factory as cannonball, but could possibly be a very (very) similar design. I've seen other Taiwan horns and you'd swear you were playing a cannonball, but for the logo
No doubt about the similarities.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,882 Posts
No doubt about the similarities.
I’m not doubting the similarities at all, just saying that these days similarities (or apparently identical) do not necessarily mean the same factory.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not doubting the similarities at all, just saying that these days similarities (or apparently identical) do not necessarily mean the same factory.
Yes I understood and you are so correct. Thank you

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got this horn back from the tech. All it needed was an upper stack adjustment and one cork on Eb 2.

For an almost 15 year old closet horn it plays almost like new with just the right amount of resistance. Its a dark toned sax much in the vain of Keilwerth while being played with a Selmer Scroll shank D. The intonation is good and my tech thought it was ever bit and good as some of the new Cannonballs and better than the TK Melody that I played before switching to B&S.

The only complaint is because of sitting so long in a closet, the pads are not getting stuck but they are making that crunchy sound like they have a stickiness to them.

I'm not sure if this will be the last alto I will ever own but its a darn nice player and will work for my purposes for this rest of the year.

Thanks to those above who provided information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts