Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1971 Buffet Crampon Super Dynaction Paris France
SERIAL NUMBER 18142 = 1971/1972 model
I want to know everything I can as I am considering buying this horn. Wondering if it is worth my time to meet up and play it since it's about an hour away from me. Any opinions are much appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Tenor, asking 1600. Also not sure if it is gold or silver lacquer. Anyone know what the norm is for that model?

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
It would most likely be gold lacquer or possibly silver plate which would add to its value.$1600 is reasonable IF the lacquer is original and it is in good playing condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
I concur. If it plays well, up and down..... and there's no significant damage...it's not a bad price, even if it's just lacquer and not plated.

Really give it a robust play test, bring a tuner as well.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How would you compare it to a Selmer SA80 with lacquer stripped? playing wise and value comparison?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Darker, somewhat fatter sound than the VI . Very well built. Ergos are a little different and some would prefer the VI. I have played an earlier SDA Tenor and own an SDA Bari. For the money, these horns are bargains, very undervalued, IMHO. Selmers will always command higher prices than most of the competition. $1600 is not bad, there's one on Ebay right now and plenty of SDA's to compare the prices. Try the horn. If you like it and pay $1600, don't look back. These are excellent horns, but they play like Buffets, not Selmers, and I don't mean that as a criticism. They are unique.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts