Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I am looking at a local Evette Paris tenor, the seller is stating that it is was made in the 60s by Marlene serial number 11700. are these good horns? its relatively cheap although it was just relacquered and repaded
thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
What is relatively cheap? I see Evettes on Craigslist starting at $500 for a tenor depending on the time of the year. Right now it is peak time because school will start again and lots of parents are looking for used horns for their kids instead of renting

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
its under $500
Generally, any tenor under $500 should be worth it but you never know whether there is substantial damage that can turn into a money sink. On the other hand, I bought a Conn Shooting Star for $160 as unplayable and the only reason was that somebody had used it for golf putting practice and a golf ball was stuck inside. A flashlight, a tap with a wooden ladle and it was in very nice playing condition again. I bought a Buescher S400 for $280 and it needed a key guard replaced. I played it for a year, traded it in (plus some cash) for a Cannonball and I ran into it again at a local jazz event after somebody else purchased it from Music Go Round.

Bottom line is that there are good horns out there that are undervalued but be prepared to spend some money if you buy anything cheap.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've got one of these a couple years ago for $300 from a local Cragslist ad. Only bought it because it was playing OK as sold.
As LC says, the sale price can be misleading. No matter which old horn you buy, you usually end up spending more money setting them up or repairing them. Repairs can be expensive.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that an old horn will need maintenance, I am more curious about Marlene's build quality and tone from other here that may own them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts