Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
1st I want to say that this forum is packed full of info esp for someone like me who is just starting. I am at a point of choosing a sax to buy. From what I gathered, some brands like yamaha 23 are highly suggested for beginner students. What about Antigua alto sax. Does anyone have experience with this sax?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Antigua has several lines (some made in Taiwan some Made in China) and the top ones are definitely very good horns. The Yamaha (23, 25, 275) are student horns (now also made in China or Indonesia) which have been setting the standard and the reference product for that class in the music business.
I don't know which Antigua model caught your eye but the best thing to do is always compare one horn to at least another.
Purely form an investment point of view, if you buy an Antigua horn and you think that you will ever want to sell it, you are, probably, going to loose more money on it (but you will lose money on any new horn) , you could buy a second hand Yamaha very easily everywhere in the world and , if the horn was treated right , it would still be in a very good state after many years of use. There is no reason not to think of the Antigua saxophones in the same way but Yamaha has proven itself for much larger volumes of sold products and for much longer. Ultimately it is your choice. Go and play them!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts