Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,745 Posts
:eek:Here, there are no saxophones costing $75 ( perhaps with the exception of the indian SSO) anywhere

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
293 Posts
:eek:Here, there are no saxophones costing $75 ( perhaps with the exception of the indian SSO) anywhere
LOL I think he was talking about mouth pieces, not saxophones. Mouth pieces, like saxophones, can perform well with out being expensive. For the record, if I were gigging all the time at top shelf places making good money, I would no doubt own a Yani with a Theo Wanne The point has never been "if high priced gear is good" but if one can be good without high priced gear.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,615 Posts
Akshully I have seen a few Shooting Star altos over the years, and the occasional Italo-Franco stencil alto... go for $75 on eFlay...but yes, mouthpieces is what I was referring to... ;)

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,230 Posts
Ha, I literally know nothing about mouth pieces save where to stick them. Care to share some knowledge?
Not me. I own 3 mpcs for my tenor. A Yamaha 4C which is what everyone starts with, a RPC rollover baffle that’s all I play, and a .115” RPC high baffle that I rarely play. I’m not a mouthpiece kind of guy. I heard a lot of good stuff about Ron Coelho’s pieces about 12 years ago, called him and asked him to make me a piece. He did and that’s the one I have stuck with. I bought the high baffle piece from a guy here on SOTW. It’s a good piece but not for me. I may sell it if I decide to get rid of it.

For my alto I have a modern Otto Link hard rubber piece in a 5 facing and the old Vito Melodia that I got with it. On clarinet I still play the Buffet piece that came with it. I bought another piece here on SOTW a while back but didn’t like it much. That’s it. Chasing the perfect mpc isn’t my thing. Lots of guys here have dozens or more. I prefer to chase whatever sound I’m looking for by practicing and adjusting my embouchure with what I have.

Most of your personal sound comes from how you play not the mouthpiece you play though different designs do give you different sounds. To my mind it’s more about articulation and which note you emphasize.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update: I just won a yts-23 used but in good condition on auction and its on its way. Says it comes with a buescher mouthpiece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sax arrived today, my son has already stolen it from me and is upstairs doot-dooting on it as we speak. Plays great, sounds good even with noobs playing it. Good recommendation.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts