Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This piece came with a horn I just got. No name, just a sort of a winged "A", looks laser etched. Marked C7. Fairly open with a bit of a wedge baffle. Silver plated. Plays pretty nicely. Just curious what it is as I've never seen this insignia before.

Thanks for any help! View attachment 238970 View attachment 238972

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It came with a Conn C soprano NWII I just got. The original mouthpiece was in there too, but it's junk. I think someone 'worked on it...' Yikes. But whatever this one is, it works well with the horn.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The silver plating & winged A are a mystery to me. Otherwise this looks very much like an inexpensive mouthpiece made in China & sold globally under a variety of brand names all over the internet.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the silver plating will protect me from the possible lead, cadmium, arsenic in the pot metal?
Unless that's also in the 'silver' plating...hmmm....

·
Registered
376 Posts
This piece came with a horn I just got. No name, just a sort of a winged "A", looks laser etched. Marked C7. Fairly open with a bit of a wedge baffle. Silver plated. Plays pretty nicely. Just curious what it is as I've never seen this insignia before.

Thanks for any help! View attachment 238970 View attachment 238972
If you say "fairly open", do you mean too open to be a 7?
How does it compare to other pieces? Does it make the horn play in tune?
Would you consider it to be dark or medium bright or edgy?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It came with a Conn C soprano NWII I just got. The original mouthpiece was in there too, but it's junk. I think someone 'worked on it...' Yikes. But whatever this one is, it works well with the horn.
Very often these original old Conn mouthpieces seem like junk — because they have a 1920s tip opening and facing curve, which do not go well with modern embouchures. I very seriously suggest you send this mouthpiece to Joe Giardullo at SopranoPlanet for his evaluation and, if he believes it worthwhile, get him to open the mouthpiece out to a size you'd be comfortable with. He did a similar job for me a couple of years ago and the difference was like night and day. The old Conn soprano mouthpiece he worked on has been my favourite ever since.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Well. I liked the look of the Chinese mouthpiece so I ordered an 8 on ebay. I've been playing a .090 which I finally decided was a little much. The thing just arrived and it looks great. Finish work and plating on this silver-plated brass mouthpiece are equal to ANY. The ligature and cap are equally turned-out. I do like the knurled screw - its a very traditional treatment for a ligature screw. I hurried up and washed it with anti-bacterial soap and did the crucial cork-fit test. Just as I had hoped, the bore is a hair larger than my previous piece so it would go in farther on the cork which I need on this Asian horn. Also, the inner bore allows the mouthpiece more room to get even farther on. I can't tell you how I know it would be like this but I'm glad it is. The side rails are about the thickness of any soprano piece, tapering to the tip as expected, and the tip rail is beautifully done.
Okay, so I set my phone with its tuner app up in the sax case and put my usual reed on and began to try it out. I was easily able to get it tuned up and it has room to go farther. Right away I realized the intonation was going to be the best of any piece I have used on one of these 'tipped-bell' sopranos. The tone; it is medium bright and has the power I look for. Low notes are solid and deep. I had some trouble getting the palms to sound but I frequently do. I tried a different reed and they popped out much better. I've been playing a Fibracell 1.5 on the 90 and it was a little 'dead' on this one so I got out some Brancher 1.5s that I've had for awhile and that went very well. Nice 'sizzle' on top of the tone with a thick core, very much on the 'traditional' side but with projection/power.
I didn't want to quit playing it if that tells you anything, but I had to because of other factors. I will be getting back to it later today and every chance I get in the near term.
The one I got has nothing on it except an '8' - no name or engraving. It looks great against the matte gold finish on my soprano and I'm looking forward to getting used to this set-up. I believe I will be playing this one for a long time.

So, thanks a million for posting yours!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts