Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there sax friends !!

Just before 2 months i ve been informed about the end of the band we were playing some of our own themes /improvisations. We were playing once a week for 2-3 hours regularly for 9 years now

I am not a professional but playing many years now i am in a level that i would like to explore in my improvisation and i need to play (alto sax) and for "everyday stress management" if you can understand what i mean (2 small kids, working a lot, wife working etc).

The question is about any proposal for "backing tracks" that allow a kind of "freedom" in improvisation in terms of tempo and basic harmony.
Ideally i would be very interesting of any kind of world/ambient covers that i could play my own melodies /improvisations on theme.

I am thinking that if i could find some nice covers to play with i will start to play again as its 2 months now that I have not open the sax case once …..

Thank you very much in advance

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
Hello there sax friends !!

Just before 2 months i ve been informed about the end of the band we were playing some of our own themes /improvisations. We were playing once a week for 2-3 hours regularly for 9 years now

I am not a professional but playing many years now i am in a level that i would like to explore in my improvisation and i need to play (alto sax) and for "everyday stress management" if you can understand what i mean (2 small kids, working a lot, wife working etc).

The question is about any proposal for "backing tracks" that allow a kind of "freedom" in improvisation in terms of tempo and basic harmony.
Ideally i would be very interesting of any kind of world/ambient covers that i could play my own melodies /improvisations on theme.

I am thinking that if i could find some nice covers to play with i will start to play again as its 2 months now that I have not open the sax case once …..

Thank you very much in advance
Seems like you might enjoy Wikiloops.

https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack.php

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you would like you can join Wikiloops and have a limited number of downloads and uploads or can support it and have unlimited of each. It's not expensive and there are a lot of very fine musician there from all over the world. There's around 150,000 tracks there currently, all original in a wide range of genres. It's mostly guitars, Bass, drums, and keyboards with some singers and a handful of sax players.

If you need help you can contact me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
My interest in improv revolves around jazz standards. I practice Realbook tunes using youtube videos on my laptop with a bluetooth speaker. Whatever tune I seek to work on, say for example All the Things You Are, I type that in search bar followed by "backing track". There are also backing tracks on youtube for many other genres.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Another option that should be mentioned is Band in a Box. For $129 (or less if you can find a 2019 version) you can create your own backing tracks in a variety of styles in any key or tempo and with any changes you like. The big advantage over pre-packaged backing tracks is the amount of control the program gives you to create exactly what you want. There are even websites that have literally hundreds of tunes already in the BiaB mgu format where the work of inputting the changes and melody has already been done for you.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
Another option that should be mentioned is Band in a Box. For $129 (or less if you can find a 2019 version) you can create your own backing tracks in a variety of styles in any key or tempo and with any changes you like. The big advantage over pre-packaged backing tracks is the amount of control the program gives you to create exactly what you want. There are even websites that have literally hundreds of tunes already in the BiaB mgu format where the work of inputting the changes and melody has already been done for you.

Band in a Box or Aebersold recordings.
Both good resources but maybe not so much in the area of the original post of world/ambient

·
Registered
322 Posts
My interest in improv revolves around jazz standards. I practice Realbook tunes using youtube videos on my laptop with a bluetooth speaker. Whatever tune I seek to work on, say for example All the Things You Are, I type that in search bar followed by "backing track". There are also backing tracks on youtube for many other genres.
The OP was specific in mentioning world and ambient music. You and others are welcome to play and practice music of your great grandfathers and never have an audience.

I applaud players who wish to play and be part of a more vibrant current music scene and think we should assist them to achieve their goals. Telling them to practice or play what you play is unhelpful and regressive.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Another valuable site is Cafe saxophone:
https://cafesaxophone.com
It's a very friendly site and also has a section that gives access to some of the Wikiloops tracks that you may be interested in. It's fairly easy to open discussions and see if you can find like-minded individuals who can help.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
The OP was specific in mentioning world and ambient music. You and others are welcome to play and practice music of your great grandfathers and never have an audience.

I applaud players who wish to play and be part of a more vibrant current music scene and think we should assist them to achieve their goals. Telling them to practice or play what you play is unhelpful and regressive.
So "world/ambient" music uses different chords, scales, and notes than "old fashioned" music?

I repeat my recommendation for BIAB. There are tons of choices available for the simulated backings. If you want the backing to be ten pipe organs, or ten ukuleles, you can do it. You key in your own choices for tempo and chords. If you want to work over an extended G9 for half an hour at a time, you can do it. Get a copy and experiment.

·
Registered
322 Posts
So "world/ambient" music uses different chords, scales, and notes than "old fashioned" music?

I repeat my recommendation for BIAB. There are tons of choices available for the simulated backings. If you want the backing to be ten pipe organs, or ten ukuleles, you can do it. You key in your own choices for tempo and chords. If you want to work over an extended G9 for half an hour at a time, you can do it. Get a copy and experiment.
If you look again you may notice Stretch was specifically quoted, so this was an answer specifically to HIS suggestion of playing jazz standards and realbook tunes, which isn't what the OP was asking for help with.

Your suggestion may be of help and wasn't in any way dismissed by me. I'm not sure however that the OP is wishing to construct templates of his own. He seemed to be asking for existing backing tracks he could play melodies with. He talks about "finding" these, but who knows if he can't find something suitable he may take your advice and make his own. The only thing that's unlikely to happen is for him to suddenly decide he will play jazz standards. We should support players who have specific styles they wish to play regardless of whether it's what we play or prefer.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You can also do something as simple as flipping on your radio. Of course, that involves a lot of "on the fly time," but it's always there, as long as the power's on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts