Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on the forum much lately, but I threw a lowball bid at this tenor, ended up winning it, and just received it today. I'm curious what other's experiences have been. As near as I can tell it's a close cousin to the Aristocrat series IV's, and the serial number of 108,000 puts it in the late '50's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...si=zedbNsQuWiUYXbPFP04%2Fmb5l2kI%3D&viewitem=

I've been on a Martin vintage kick, but couldn't resist. On initial test-play today, I was able to hit every note on the normal range once I created an imitation neck cork using paper. Tone was a tad brighter than my Martin stencil ("Lyric" brand) but still very round and sweet. Of course it's kind of hard to tell with a jerry-rigged neck cork.

I'm going to get it tweaked by my tech (Jeff Stevenson) and look forward to doing a side by side with the Martin. It came with a very-vintage Selmer "Elkhart-New York" stock mouthpiece that appears to be about an .085" which I need to clean up and sterilize before I test it.

Barring some disaster, I'll have this tenor set up nicely and playable for right around $300 total. Is it just me or are "golden-age" American horns unbelievably affordable right now? Anybody else out there enjoying this particular make and vintage?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am really curious how it plays for you when your tech is done. If you can hold the total cost under $300 I think you did well.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I am really curious how it plays for you when your tech is done. If you can hold the total cost under $300 I think you did well.
You're probably still ok at $400, but I really wouldn't put more into that one. It's essentially a devolved Aristocrat stencil, so with any luck it should sound quite good and if it really is a '50s horn the intonation should still be spot on, although the QC makes these a little dicey and the keywork is less friendly than it would be on a slightly older horn.

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it'll be another $200 to do a general clean and lube, replace 3 or 4 pads, straighten the body tube (slightly bowed), touch up a couple of solders, a few felts and corks, etc, etc. Jeff charges full market labor for his work, but it's worth it and I trust him implicitly.

Yeah, it's just a '50's 'Crat with nickel keys, but it has a nice solid tone (even with lots of leaks and a paper neck cork.) And I was shocked to find how much I like the LH pinky cluster. I can go straight horizontally to get from low Bb to B to C# and the rollers are very smooth and easy.

The original mouthpiece was a disappointment - - loud but kind of harsh and thin. Maybe it's a collector's item for somebody, but not much of a player.

It does seem to like both my Kessler HR mouthpiece and the Tone Edge that I use as my back-up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mick,

Congrats on yet another great eBay find! Hey, I sent you an e-mail a few weeks ago, but it bounced back. Please e-mail me (my e-mail hasn't changed, although my address has...)... Several things to talk to you about.

Al Carter

·
Registered
887 Posts
Count me as a fan. I had one briefly that I repadded and used as a busking horn. Solid no frills horn, nice tone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts