Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a case w/wheels for my Keilworth XT/Jupiter low A baritone. I'm told that the MTS case will fit the horn as this model was built by Jupiter in ROC. The question is that the case appears to carry the horn upside down. i.e. the top of the horn is on the bottom of the case when the case is upright (wheels down). I don't know if this makes sense. When the case is upright on its wheels, the bell bow is on the top. Anyway, I'm wondering if this is bad for the instrument in the long run. Bari cases are hard to find, especially with wheels and a non-selmer horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
351 Posts
I like the cases, I've been carrying my Super 20 King in one for at least 3 years now with no issues. I leave it on the end a lot of the time with no issues having the sax upside down.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I've investigated these. They are sturdy and well built, if a little bulky. I went with the SKB and would recommend it, if the horn fits. The "bow" is at the bottom on those. I would be a little concerned with the weight of the horn on the top, but if the horn fits snugly with minimal movement inside the case you should be OK. I don't think these are built to stand upright, as is the case with the SKB or the BAM, so the horn will never be at more than a 45 degree angle and then only when it's being moved. If you have an opportunity to try the SKB fit before deciding, I would do that if I were you. BAMs are great too, but pricey and my SKB has done an excellent job protecting my Bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
The case looks really big and at +/- 11Kg adds a Lot of weight to your total burden. True it has wheels. Have you considered a Protec Contour? It weights 6.1 Kg almost HALF of the MTS case and it is an hard shell contoured case. It is also slightly cheaper.

They can also be carried on the shoulders.

BY the way, if you look at your horn you will see that it says KEIL- Werth (for what’s worth it :) )

·
Registered
707 Posts
Agree with milandro, 22.7 lbs or 10.3 kg is really over the top for a bari case.

Just for comparison, the Yamaha wooden "coffin" case for YBS-62 is around 9 kg empty. Together with the horn and a few accessories the total weight hits the 15.0 kg mark. I found it not a lot of fun lugging this around, and I was incredibly relieved when I started using a lighter case. I would never ever consider going heavier.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I have several bari cases including a GL with wheels, 2 Protecs, and the custom MTS Kessler sells for the Yani and their Yani copy (the Solist) bari. The MTS is definitely heavier but it also fits my horn much better. The only time I use the wheels is inside when I have a long walk over a smooth surface like a museum or the club level of a stadium. Otherwise the wheels are really too small to roll well over rougher surfaces or expansion joints in sidewalks and what-not. I thought the older BAM bari cases came with larger wheels which is really what you need to roll a bari case over any surface that isn't almost perfectly smooth if you don't want your horn jostled and rattled. Maybe I'm miss-remembering that. All these tiny wheels really don't work all that well.

I find I don't use the wheels very often because I have few load-ins that they are useful for but when I use the Protec cases if I want wheels I bring along a folding hand-truck like this; https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Person...ts=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:2801977011

I can strap the bari case to this and it rolls easily and smoothly over a much wider range of surfaces than any of the bari cases with such small wheels. Just be aware that the Protec is very large inside since it's designed to fit just about any horn made so you may need to strategically pad it a bit with a few towels or some extra foam rubber to make it fit horn horn better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I have a rolling case that came with a Low A Buffet 400 Bari.... It's yours for free if you pick it up in the ATL area...It's like new - I just don't use it and would love to see it put to good use.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have one of those cases, it just came a couple weeks ago with a VI bari. It's sturdy and seems a really nice case but, as mentioned, it's heavy. I immediately moved the horn over to my old Protec case just for ease of carrying.

If you could figure out how to get some wheels on a Protec case you might have something going...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
If you could figure out how to get some wheels on a Protec case you might have something going...
If you must use wheels on a protec I’d use one of these trolleys they are cheap, collapsable and multi purpose.

I have a few

also this one

and this

1 - 10 of 10 Posts