Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My anual blood tests show a slightly raised level of uric acid, which although my physician seems unconcerned, is a slight worry to me, as I tend to make kidney stones.
(It's not easy to discuss it with him as he's very overworked and we don't share a language in which we are both fluent!)

Research tells me I should reduce my intake of purines, but they tend to be in all the things I eat (and enjoy!) to keep my cholesterol level down!! (eg oily fish).

Any advice on dietary guidelines to keep the blood 'thin' and at the same time reduce uric acid levels?

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I think you pretty much have to reduce your intake of animal protein in order to get your uric acid levels down. As far as fish reduce the amount that you eat and see what effects it has. You might be over doing it with the fish.

Those fatty acids are found in other foods as well. Try eating natural almonds and walnuts, there high in unsaturated fats...especially the almonds. Stay away from the salted varieties.

I'd stay away from beef and alcohol as well.

Switch your diet over to more complex carbohydrates. Pick those that have a medium to medium low glycemic index to keep insulin levels or blood glucose at a steady number. High fiber will help control your appetite as well as reduce you glucose load by slowing down digestion of carbohydrates.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
My husband is a kidney stone factory. He averaged 2 stones a year for the first 20 years of our marriage. He was able to pass all of them except for the last which was 7mm. The doctor had to go in and break it up with a laser. Too big for the lithotrypter. His urologist told him to restrict his intake of protien, calcium, and caffiene. He also has to drink 32 ounces of a mixture of lemon juice and water every day. This is supposed to keep the stones from forming.
He had a little trouble adjusting to the new diet since he only likes red meat, dairy, and coffee. In the long run he is happy that we're not making trips to the hospital at 3 am.
I'm not saying that you have to do what he does. Everyone is different. I'm only hoping that you get your levels down, and maybe avoid any more stones. They're much more painful than childbirth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, both...pretty much what my own research has said.... pity about the alcohol, though, it's so good and cheap here!
Otherwise my diet isn't too bad....I do eat nuts, but need to cut down on the lovely Spanish sardines :(

I have only had a 'major incident', on average, about every 10 years, but that is often enough....can't compare it with childbirth, so I'll take your word for it! I don't usually scream that much :D

I had lithotripsy.... about 10 years ago :( ...... so am trying to be proactive.

I think I'll pass on the 32oz of LJ-water/day, and just drink more water and some lemon!
We have lemons quite often anyway... they rot on the trees here, because the price is too low to make it economic to pick them! What a waste....I said the farmers should offer 'Pick Your Own....all you can carry for, (say), 2 Euros".
(Most fruit trees which are not picked tend to produce less in the future).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts